Can I redress my own dressing?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I fell 3 days a go and cut my knee to the bone, it was stitched and yesterday I had a follow up at the fracture clinic and they redressed it but put some cotton roll under the crepe banadage and it’s super itchy on my skin. 

They also gave me a tubigrip in case it slips but I was thinking would it be okay if I carefully took off the bandages, kept the gauze there to not disturb the wound and redressed it with the tubigrip underneath the cotton so it’s not in constant contact with my skin? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

As long as you wash your hands thoroughly before you do it and dont remove or even touch the gauze immediately in contact with the wound i think it would be fine. However I am wondering if this is really the cotton roll[wool?] . If the itching continues after you have redressed it ,it may be something else,and you need to ask your GP,or the practice nurse to have a look,or get another appointment in the fracture clinic. Did they put any medication on the wound?
    • Posted

I think it is the cotton itching because it’s not the actual wound itching it’s the skin around it. They put a sticky kind of mesh on top of it then gauze. I’m on oral antibiotics as the bone was exposed 
  • Posted

Hi russell158,

Yes, you can redress fractured area at home,  but it is important to take advice from your doctor.

Thanks!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.