Can I request a new surgeon for my hernia?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I ended up with a hernia after having my daughter 17 years ago. I did go to the doctor when it was a small lump. he told me that it would go away itself.

so 4 years ago I decided it was time to go back to the Dr as it had gotten bigger and was painful. I saw my surgeon after nearly a year who told me I would need to lose around 6stone in order for the surgery to be successful. numerous ct scans, ultra sounds and my surgeon consulting with Newcastle. every time I saw him which was about 3 times I told him yes the hernia gives me pain especially when I try to push it back in and it gets stuck. he didn't seem too bothered he was more focused on my weight being a problem. I have lost 2 stone since last year.

then covid happened and it was clear my surgery wasn't going to happen. the last time I saw my surgeon in Sept 2020 I told him the hernia was giving some excruciating pain. he said he will organise a date for my surgery which will perhaps help me shift some more weight. since then my hernia no longer will push back in.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

In most cases you have the right to choose which hospital in England to go to.

This will include many private and NHS hospitals that provide services to the NHS.

You're also able to choose which consultant-led team will be in charge of your treatment, as long as that team provides the treatment you require.

If you wish to be treated by a particular consultant for a procedure, you can choose to have your first outpatient appointment at the hospital where the consultant works and be treated by that consultant's team.

But this does not necessarily mean you'll be seen by the consultant themselves.

This choice is a legal right. If you're not offered a choice at the point of referral by your GP, ask your doctor why and say that you wish to go through your options.

If you're still not offered a choice or are refused, contact your local integrated care board (ICB).

The above is from the NHS website - https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospitals/about-nhs-hospital-services/

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.