Can I spread HSV1 from my genitals to my mouth

Posted , 2 users are following.

i was diagnosed with genital hsv1. my bf had his first genital hsv1 break out right after mine. im pretty sure i unknowingly had it and speead to him since i broke out first. so since we both have genital hsv1 is it possible to spread it to our mouths?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

you can be very unlikely but Having hsv-1 in one location does usually provides you with enough immunity to the virus to prevent you getting hsv-1 in a second location.

For example, if you have oral hsv-1 first you shouldn't get genital hsv-1.

However, there are two situations when it does occasionally seem to happen.

Once you have had an hsv-1 infection in one place for a while you build up an immunity to catching it elsewhere on your body.

All the people I have met on the internet who have both genital and oral hsv-1 caught the second infection within 3 months of catching the first.

Most people have a very high level of immunity after the first six months to a year, but some people can be unlucky if their immune system is not very good.

However, for the vast majority of people, having hsv-1 in one place for over 6 months or so results in an effective immunity to catching it somewhere else which is why that is the standard medical advice given by the Herpes Viruses Association.

"If you and your partner have the same virus you will not reinfect each other - even on a different part of the body. So, if you have caught it genitally from your partner’s facial cold sores, he or she will not catch the virus back on the genitals."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.