Can I still be tired even if I’m on the right dose of thyroxine ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m 17 and used to be really active, as in training for the 1500m nearly every day, i loved it.  2 years on I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I’m on 50 of thyroxine and I feel sooo much better than I did. But it is still hard for me to exercise, I can’t go on a jog or a run as I come home exhausted and end up not being able to study, is this going to be permanent or is it something else. It’s really frustrating me and affecting my mental health too.

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Lillian, you should get your last blood test results from your doctor and share them here. You may need a higher dose. The main one doctors look at is called TSH but there are others.

Also ask her if you have a version of hypothyroidism called Hashimoto’s. Many people claim that going gluten-free can help that. Ask to get tested for it if you haven’t been. When was your last set of tests?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

To answer your question, yes you could still be tired but for a young person that should be treatable with the right dose of medications. I assume you are on Levothyroxine?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

So TSH 6.7 was still too high, should ideally be around 2 and not above 4. So that would be why she put you on 50, correct? So now it’s time for another test to see if your TSH has come down enough. Testing every 3 months is recommended when your doctor is still  working on getting you to the right dose. 

Don’t forget to ask about Hashimoto’s. It’s very common and is detected by testing for antibodies. It’s caused by your immune system attacking the thyroid. Since you are still tired you might want to get tested for adrenal function and vitamins, especially B12, and for iron. Lack of these can cause the tiredness too. Stay in touch and good luck. If you are suffering a lot of anxiety, a mild sedative can help without making you drowsy.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, Lillian79558.  I, too, am 20 years hypothyroid and am on Synthroid (T4) 137mcg daily.  I was previously on Levothyroxine.  I am also tired a lot even with the medication.  Unfortunately, my body doesn't process the T4 into T3 so my endocrinologist is adding T3 to my medicine regime.  I will still be taking the T4 because being hypothyroid you can't do without it.  I say this to let you know your meds will change throughout the course of this disease.  Have your vitamin D, vitamin B, selenium, ferritin and folate levels checked.  You may want to consider having your adrenal glands (cortisol levels) checked, also.  You seem to be in the early stages of this disease and do not have many symptoms.  Stay in touch with your doctor and inform him or her if you don't feel better so they can regulate your meds.  Please don't become over-whelmed as it will be easy to do.  Keep a good support system, investigate the disease and DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR QUESTIONS!  If need be, adjust your schedule so you can get in ample study time and exercise (this is a good thing!). With time I have heard of people getting better, so it can happen!  I find very pertinent information on this site and the internet, so don't be afraid to use them!  Feel better.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up