Can I store my frozen sperm for more than 10 years?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm single, 31 years old, childfree and I don't think I will ever want children. However people keep insisting that when I'm older I will change my mind, therefore I want to have some of my sperm frozen prior to vasectomy.

From what I've read the law in the UK allows maximum storage of 10 years, but you can apply for an extension up to 55 years 'in exceptional circumstances' if you will be infertile due to certain medical conditions. What I want to know is whether having had a vasectomy will guarantee me the extension.

As I said I don't think I will ever want kids but if by some divine intervention I did change my mind I think it would be longer than ten years from the date of my vasectomy.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't be getting the snip if you are single - no way. Risks that 10% get PVPS. Not worth it. Keep the tackle intact.
  • Posted

Yes. Was done 20 months ago (married with kids) and I've been in pain ever since. Bit older than you but into sport. It's been a huge mistake.  I've had further major surgery down there to try and relieve the pain. It hasn't helped, and the scar tissue is worse.

I would not be fiddling with your bits especially if single. Yup married with kids, but even then there is a high risk of long term pain - I'll describe it as being kicked in the balls constantly.

Don't risk it.  You'll probably find the GP's aren't happy to refer you either. 

The operation has ruined our sex life due to my constant pain.  I take strong pain killers at night so I can sleep, then wake in excruciating pain in the morning, which means I have to get up and about (no lying in having frisky time).

• Posted

I am really sorry to hear what it has done to you. I was aware of the risk of post-vasectomy pain syndrome but to hear a personal horror story really hammers home the reality of the problem. If I ended up with chronic pain I would forever regret the decision.

Was it the most common cause of pain: back pressure in the epididymus? Was it an open-ended or closed-ended vasectomy? Was it the no scalpel method, or just a basic slice, tug & chop? 

• Posted

I had no scalpel. Incision open for 4 weeks (could hear things sloshing about) serious bruising and swelling, loads of pain.

I think you are crazy having a procedure like this when single ?  What might happen in 5 years when you meet the woman of your dreams but she wants kids ?

I can't see any reason why you would chose this operation when there is no need for birth control (unless you are 'out on the tiles' alot).

You'll be kicking yourself if you fall into the 10% with PVPS.  It's like being kicked in the goolies constantly, all day, every day.

• Posted

I am 'out on the tiles' a lot.

Don't have long term partners so don't want to have to trust girls with my entire future every time.

Have already had 1.7 billion sperm cells professionally cryopreserved - although I don't think I will ever want to start a family, that's just in case. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.