Can i take 4000 IU of Vitamin D along with a multi Vit that has 5 UG in?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, i currently take a multivitamin that has 5 UG of vitamin D in, i wanted to start taking more vitamin D and i read that the upper amound is 4000 IU, i wanted to carry on taking my multi though so wondered if it would be ok to take both still as that would only just be a tiny bit above the upper amount of 4000 wouldn't it?

Thanks

James

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello ( Im not a medical professional)...

Its difficult to say really- Id be careful as Vitamin D (as Im sure you know already ) is a fat soluble vitamin so it can accumulate and become toxic- this can then lead to symptoms of nausea,vomiting and other adverse effects.

I know it would be difficult to access a GP for advise due to lockdown but do you think you could book a 5 minute telephone chat with your GP just to get advice-

Generally build up dose slowly but as general public I cant ofcourse advise what dose to start at.

5ug if I am correct is equal to 200 IU so that could be too much for your body ontop of 4000IU.

• I wouldnt recommend going over dose unless you can have regular blood work ( cant really do in UK currently can we?).
    • Posted

Im taking vitamin D along with my other medication but its only a very small tablet -50 microgrammes -& been on them since 2019 (I think) -included on my repeat prescription

• Posted

It's fine to take that quantity. I'm currently on 9000iU a day and know of several others who take 10000iu a day.

I do also take vitamin k2 (to stop calcium building up in the blood vessels. vitamin d causes the level of calcium taken up by the body from the diet to increase, so it is recommended to take k2 when supplementing with vitamin d) and magnesium.

the only real toxicity from vit D had been from people taking 50000iu plus a day for several months. it's not easy to overdose on.

it's worth getting your levels checked so you know what youre level is though. as long as you don't go over 200nmol/L you should be fine. either get a doctor to test your levels or get a private test from thriva or similar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.