Can I take citalopram at night?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, sorry if there is an answer to this already but I can't be bothered scrolling through the posts!

My GP has prescribed me citalopram today and I didn't think to ask her if it was ok to take it at night. I was recently on sertraline but came off it for various reasons after 6 weeks (with no improvements I should add). One of my problems with it was insomnia. For the first few weeks I didn't even bother trying to sleep before 3am. But also the whole six weeks I pretty much just lay under blankets on my sofa and slept. 

I'm a little worried about the citalopram having the same affect (as I have two kids to look after, and can't just neglect everything). Also she is starting me on very low dose as when I was on Citalopram for a short time 6 years ago it gave me racing thoughts and panic attacks (which I had never experienced previously). This usually happened at night. 

Has anyone found taking it at night instead might help allieviate such problems?

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mari, plenty of folks take before bed so should be ok as long as keep the pattern to avoid withdrawls?
    • Posted

Hi stevo, thanks! I assumed for some reason that they had to be taken in the morning. The only one I've taken at night before is Mirtazapine as that one helps you sleep. Anyway, I'll get started on the cit tonight then.

• Posted

Hi, I take mine at 8pm, I tried in the morning to start with  and it didn't work for me.  I'm nearly six weeks in and feeling better, my side effects have been quite bad but are slowly wearing off now xxx good luck xxx
    • Posted

Hi Marf, I was going to take it at 9pm but on second thoughts I was in my bed by 8.45 last night! Not that I got to sleep till about 1am..grrr. Anyway, I think I'll take it at 8pm too.

Good that you are managing to get thru the side affects and are starting to feel better. Hope it keeps improving for you. xx

• Posted

Thank you xx don't worry too much about the sleep as if you were in your bed then you were resting if nothing else xx hope tonight's good xxx
  • Posted

I have always taken mine at 8pm, I am on 20mg, has ur gp prescribed diaizipam ?? I take that in the morning if I am feeling anxious but only when I need it xx
    • Posted

Hi Sparkly, no diazepam for me. I took it for a while when I had a major meltdown a year ago but I think I'm more depressed than anxious at the moment! I'm sure that will change though (unless the cit works wonders), as it always does neutral

Thanks for replying xx

• Posted

Hi, I take mine in the morning, scared I will forget to take if I take at night, any advice as to changing over to taking at night, took one this morningg, so would I take another tonight or wait until tomorrow night, do you sleep better taking it at night rather than the morning? xx

• Posted

Hey, sorry to jump in, I took mine in the morning for a couple of weeks and then swapped to nightime which has been better. I took one the following evening instead of the morning  (ie tomorrow night) on the doctors advice and it was fine. I'm on week 6 today and sleeping could be better but hopefully will soon improve xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.