Can i take mirtazipine + sertraline together

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi  been on sert 50mg for 9 wks + only had a few gd days here + there of normality.Doc reckons i shld come off as ssri's aint for me(fluoxetine made me "crazy" so came off after 3 days).Any advice/experience for tapering  off sert + at what point can i take mirt with sert ? mirt is an NaSSA which is a diff class of AD than the ssri sert so in theory they can be taken together but do not know at what point,

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have been taking sertraline and mirtazepine together for several years without any problems. I am currently reducing the mirt from 45 (now on 15) and will be hoping to come right off it soon and then start to come off the sert as I am now recovered. All this is done under medical supervision and I suggest you do the same and I'm sure you'll be ok, good luck and all the best smile
    • Posted

Hi i've never heard of anyone being on duel meds for depression etc. Can I ask are you in the UK or US? Good news on your recovery! Thanks for your input.
    • Posted

i'm in uk + have anxiety.I was asking about taking them together but only with respect to not having to wait till all sert was out of my system before i start mirt
    • Posted

Hi, I was prescribed the combination drugs by my consultant several years ago along with a mood stabiliser. I am in the UK. Thank you for your good wishes, I hope you get on ok, I'm just trying to withdraw from mirt atm then will try to come off the sert. x
  • Posted

Hi I tried Fluoxetine too a few years ago & it gave my insomnia. Prozac isn't it! Weird drug! I'm just starting Mirt. I was on Sertraline previously, 100mg, I came off it over a few weeks, chopped in half for 1 week then took every other day then every few days for the next 2 weeks. Felt great when on nothing for a while but stressful life events & SAD have brought it all back again. I have GAD, I'm hoping this mert will help with that. I've been on SSRI before & know nothing of NASSAs...it's all so confusing on top of being fatigued adds to the feeling of being overwhelmed.
    • Posted

Oh that's some comfort to me then, thanks. I don't know about taking it with other drugs but some people on here seem to be on 3 or 4 different drugs at once..
  • Edited

I'm not sure about the dosages but these 2 meds are often combined together for two reason.

Firstly Mirtazipine works by Antagonising (ie, Blocking) the HT2 serotonin receptors. This leads to more serotonine being available for the HT1 receptor, which is where you want it for its ad effect. When combined with an ssri you get even more serotonine to the HT1 receptor and so both work together increase the anti depressant effect.

Secondly adding Mirt to an ssri reduces the side effects of the ssri (nausea, sexual side effects) you get from the ssri. This is becuase a lot of the side effects from ssri's are caused by to much serotonine hitting the HT2 recpetors. Mirtazapine works by blocking the HT 2 receptor so less serontine will affect them. Mirt can also me added to a SNRI for the same reasons.

Mirt is not without side effects though. The two main ones are sedation and apitite stimulant. Some users find it wors than others so see how you get on.

What dose opf mirt are you on? I have read its side effects max out at only 15mg and higher doses than that do not result in worse side affects and some users report less side effects on doses of 30mg and up so have a good read in the forums about that.

Have a good internet search for ssri + mirt and you will find alot of info.

• Posted

I was thinking of getting some l-tryptophan but I've just read that you can't take it with ADs
    • Posted

I would wait to see how Mirt affects you first. 

I assume you mean the protein L-Tryptophane and not 5-HTP which is more easily converted to serotonin???

• Posted

Erm..i've found one online that says its L-Tryprophan & it converts seratonin into 5HTP...now i'm confused..
    • Posted

L-Trypyophan is converted into 5-HTP and 5-HTP is converted in to serotonin.

The difference is if the body thinks there is too much serotonine it wont convert any more L-Tryptophan to 5-HTP but it will continue to convert 5-HTP to serotonin.

That said 95% of 5-HTP taken orally will not reach the brain and will only increase serotonine in the body. Hence it can cause nausea for some people.

• Posted

what would happen if you take both mirtazapine and sertraline together at nighttime?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.