Can I take more than recommended?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I changed from sertraline to venlafaxine about two weeks ago because the sertraline had too many side effects for me. Last week the doctor doubled my dose and said to take one 37.5mg tablet in the morning and at night. I think it does help my depression but not my anxiety as much as I'd like it too. Is it okay to maybe take an extra one in the afternoon just to see if that helps?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ooh, no...i definitely wouldn't do that without your doctors say so. When i started taking venlafaxine it actually made me more anxious before the real effect kicked in and made me less anxious. This took about 3-4 weeks so i would definitely give your current does a month before rethinking doage, and then discuss with your doctor.

Hope that's helpful!

• Posted

I felt much worse at the beginning too, I was prescribed 75 in the morning but after 3 weeks with no real change... Still crying and not talking to anyone I took 150g in the mornings & I feel good for it. My doctor does not know as yet but I will let him know.  I would have taken 10 per day if it had made me feel better than I was. I know this is not sensible but it worked for me.  Side affects are a terrible dry mouth & bad headaches but these are managable. Good luck Danielle. 
  • Posted

Danielle, I would not be upping your dose without a doctors say so. Try prehaps taking both in the morning or both at night. I suspect your doctor is moving slowly until the sertaline is out of your system. Don't forget that these meds can take ^ weeks to be fully effective. Don't forget these drugs are stabilizing your brain chemistry. Efexor is a very good antidepressant. Remember to take around the same time every day
  • Posted

I changed from them to and u need to give it 4/6 wks as others say u will feel more anxiety etc but stick with it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.