can i take omeprazole after gallbaddlers surgery ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

i used to taking omeprazole to control my acid reflux but i am not sure if i can still taking it after surgery of gallbaddlers or not please anyone adivce ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fung I take them as I still have the acid reflux and I had my op three years ago but if I was you ask your Doc first xxxx 
  • Posted

Hi Fung .... I still take omeprazole ... had my op last month and since then my doctor has prescribed more .... so I'm sure its ok, but if you're worried check it out with your own GP.
  • Posted

Hi Fung, I was prescribed them a few weeks after surgery to try and prevent any stomach problems from taking pain killers. I an now prescribed Ranitidine.  Good luck but I would agree with the others check with your GP. 
  • Posted

Hi fung. I have just checked this out with my GP this morning.

Had gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago.

I have already reduced Buscopan and am continuing to do so.

GP said not to reduce Omeprazole at the moment as I was reducing Buscopan, so she prescribed me for another month.

Once i am completely off Buscopan and am feeling OK, I can then start start reducing Omeprazole until I am off them as well.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks for all the advise its was very helpful!

• Posted

i wouldnt stop taking them since having gallbladder surgery youre constantly leaking acid as the purpose of the gallbladder is to store the bile/acid until it is needed to breakdown fats so your acid reflux will be a million times worse i had mine out beginning of febuary 22 and the reflux is not gotten better at all its worse and happens to more than 20% of patients that have had theres removed normal ant acids dont work unless youve had the omeprazole due to having too much acid

• Posted

i had my gallbladder out over a year ago, no amount of acid reflux meds could control my symptoms pre operation, once i had it out omeprazole work a treat im on 40mg daily and only get attacks if i dont take them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.