Can I take this combination of medication please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there!

I am 36 male, from Saudi Arabia. I am doing my PhD in UK. I was diagnosed with high blood prusser in 2006. I take Felodipine 10mg + Losartan 50mg + Indapamide 2.5mg. Hoever, I feel more relax and comfortable when I added Atenolol 25mg just 2 months ago when I retured back home for a holiday. I am worring if that is okay or not.

So, can I take a combination of these medication together please? they are: Atenolol 25mg + Felodipine 10mg + Losartan 50mg + Indapamide 2.5mg? If not, why? And how can I adjust it to be fine please?

Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I know you have said your from Saudi does that mean your medication was prescribed by your Dr in your homeland and did he do the diagnosis and prescribe those meds or did you buy off the internet and self medicate, also how old are you and how high was your bp in 2006 and what is it on arregular basis now.
    • Posted

Thank you Alex for your question. In the first time back in 2006 my bp was somthing between 150/90 and 140/85 and my puls was upove 90 always. My Dr prscribed me Atenolo 50mg. Then when I came to UK in 2012 my Dr in UK changed it to Felodipine 10mg + Losartan 50mg + Indapamide 2.5mg. However, sometimes when I feel nurvous with study stress I take Atenolol 12.5mg sometimes 25mg with my mentioned medications above so I feel relax and more comfortable because it reduces my puls to be between 60-80. Without Atenolol it is always above 85 and somethimes 90s. My bp is always 130/75 now with or without Atenolol. 
  • Posted

The best person to advise you is a good pharmacist - they know more about drugs and drug interactions than anyone else.  

Atenolol is a beta blocker and is certainly helpful in reducing a high pulse. However, if taken for a period of time it must never be stopped in one go but gradually tapered off.  

I believe there is a contraindication of atenolol with felodipine as one has a potassium reducing effect whilst the other has a potassium increasing effect. 

Do please check all your medications out with your pharmacist for compatibility now and in the future.

• Posted

Thank you MrsO, what if I stopped felodipine while taking Atenolo, would that be fine?
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the information, I would say the best thing would be to make an appointment with your British based gp and see what he has to say.

Your health is the most precious gift so you need to look after it.

• Posted

No, you must speak to either a GP or a pharmacist first - we are'nt medics on here.  You are taking three different BP medications already, I wouldn't have thought you needed four.  But if you are feeling better having added Atenolol, then do see a GP tomorrow and discuss this with him/her - he might agree that you can switch from the Felodpine to Atenolol if you explain how much better you feel on it, but they are totally different agents, with the former I believe being a calcium channel blocker and the latter a beta blocker.

There will be a pharmacist open today for you to ask about any contraindications between all your drugs, but you will need to speak to a GP tomorrow BEFORE switching any of them around.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.