Can I take vitamin D tablet with my thryoid meds?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I recently had my vitamin D tested and it was the lower end of normal so am taking supplements.

The think is, I have been taking them in the evening so it doesn't affect my levothyroxine that I take in the morning but I keep forgetting to take them in the evening.

Would it affect my thryoid meds if I took them at the same time as the vitamin D tablets?

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi caz, I always wait 30 mins before taking anything after my levo in the morning, I keep them by my bed & therefore take them as soon as I wake, I believe it gives the levo a chance to be more effective. I take vit D3 later after breakfast.  Hope this is helpful.  I
  • Posted

Hi Say, I do pretty much the same as Julie. Vitamin D3 gets taken with the tea I drink last thing after breakfast.

Just a little anecdotal story about vit D. Once I worked for six months out doors in the Californian sun in shorts, no hat, short sleeves (yes that was very stupid, I don't ususally do that). In September I had a vit D blood test, it was below the range!! So, I don't know what to tell you  about vit D being the "sunshine vitamin" any more, go figure.

• Posted

Thank you both for your reply smile very helpful I know so much can affect levothyroxine I worry about taking anything too close to it. Strange about the sun thing too!!
  • Posted

Hello Caz:

Don't take it at the same time as your Thyroid meds.  I take my D with food and you can take it at lunch or dinner.  Just take it the same time each day.

Thyroid meds can be blocked by food and some other meds, so take it at another time.  It can take a month or so to build up the D.

I take 2000IU a day.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shellly and Say, I too take 2000IU a day. D is very important for the absorption of Ca - which you need for good bone density which some say will be reduced if you take thyroid meds. HOWEVER my bone density got better after 8 years of fairly high dose of T4 (via Levo and then Armour) so go figure.
  • Posted

Hi there I am interested to hear that others are low in vitamin D I was diagnosed as really low and my thyroid went all over the place again just got my thyroid back to 2.5 I take 125mg levothyroxine a day and am taking a maintenace dose of vitamin D from over the counter I had to have a huge 3 months high dose initially from the Doctor is this all to do with having an underacitve thyroid, the symtoms from these are shocking when you think about it I follow some of these discussions and I find I had so many of the symptoms described. I am pleased to say I am on the mend I hope and down to a yearly blood test unless there are any more problems I take my levo on a night and my Vitamin D when I wake do you think its best to take that way around I used to take my levo on a morning. Thanks Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.