Can I use a weighted hula hoop 11 month after surgary

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all I had prolapse surgary 11 months ago seams to all gone well apart from scar tissue but I have put on a lot of weight I can't get to a gym I was wondering if you can use a weighted hula hoop or anyone know of a good excise I can do to flatten my tummy as I know we have to be very careful thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

I loved powerhooping and would do it everyday for 2 years before my surgery, I asked as soon as i saw my consultant if I could Powerhoop again. the answer was under no circumstance. not now not ever. I am heart broken too as it was something I was really passionate about. but as my consultant told me if i want to keep my repair intact and lasting for many years you need to look after yourself. 

I have kept up with my swimming and that keeps my tummy flatter I swim a mile in just under 40 mins and do that 3-4 times a week. have no issues or problems doing that either.

good luck x

• Posted

hi I went and brought one then set it up went on Internet to read up as lots said no so thought it was best to ask people in the same boat  sadly I cant swim so will have to look into other ways to flatten my tummy xx
  • Posted

Hi, I was told 6 months after my surgery 'no' to the weighted hula hoop, but the physio lady I saw a year after surgery said it would be fine as it was a year after. Now your putting doubts in my mind whether I should carry on. Only done a couple of 15 mins sessions so far... what to do.. I also have one of those tummy toner belts I was wondering if it would be ok to use one of those?.

• Posted

I would do what ever you think is best for you.

My consultant did say that the pressure the weighted hoop forces everything downwards and that it would put severe stress on the repair. I was also told no situps or high Impact  excercises too; there are ways of doing HIIT but using the low impact versions to avoid stress. Bike riding was recommended but unfortunately for me I have ongoing long term pelvic pain which makes it out of the question. I stick to swimming as that works for me. good luck finding something that you enjoy and suits you. Ttap is very good to start getting back to fitness. good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.