Can IBS be caused by overeating?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey,

Appreciate you reading this.

I've had IBS for a while. Recently though, it's gotten much worse - at least in its intensity and frequency.

I've tried to mentally understand the potential triggers. However, I can't seem to identify specific foods.

So far, the only possible connection I've found between recent bouts, is the quantity of food. Each time, I've noticed I've gorged on meals - stuffed myself, realising I've probably eaten too much with my greedy eyes.

My question is, can this alone cause or significantly inflame IBS?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi there, it's an interesting thought but if you think about it lots more people would be diagnosed with ibs and the link would be really easy to identify. i think the stress you have thinking about eating too much or other forms of stress that make you overeat could cause problems with IBS. you need to discover what stress you're going through, that may tell you why your ibs is bad.

• Edited

Yes, larger meals can inflame IBS. One of the recommended tips for sufferers is to eat small meals but eat more often. eg small breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch snack, afternoon snack, light dinner, evening snack. Dont be tempted to make the snacks sugary items, like biscuits and cakes.

• Posted

I feel my IBS was brought on by eating in excess. But rather that large quantities, I was always nibbling non-stop and I was told that might have recked my digestive system from never letting it rest. Could that be your case too?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.