Can impacted ears cause you to feel spaced out?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I know this isn't a very pretty subject but I have been suffering with this spaced out feeling and a few dizzy spells. My bloods have all come back normal but I also have a ringing in my ears, my doctor had a look and they are impacted really bad and high up she said. Just wondering if it can make you feel symptoms of vertigo or if anyone has experience this before? I also suffer with anxiety and have recently started medication which seems to have started to kick in but the spaced out feeling is still there so dont think its that.

Thanks smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jasmine,

I believe pressure from a heavy wax build-up in the outer ear canal can have a slight effect on the inner ear.

You need to get your ears irrigated to remove the wax plugs, even if you can still hear normally. (This happens to me on a regular basis so I know a bit about it!) Your doctor should have arranged for this to be done. It's a simple procedure that's normally carried out by a nurse attached either to a GP (PCP) practice or to the ENT department of a hospital or medical centre.

• Posted

Hi! Yes I have arranged to get it done on Wednesday just wondering if that is what’s causing me to feel spaced out. I guess we will know once I get them flushed out smile 
    • Posted

Well yes, you won't know till then. It certainly won't do any harm anyway. The only thing is, it might make you feel very slightly dizzy afterwards. However, this will wear off in a few minutes.

• Posted

I hope it goes away once I get them flushed! It has seemed to get better slightly since I’ve been oiling them xx
  • Posted

Hello,

?Yes, if your ears are full, you can feel like you're dreaming, spaced out and dizzy.  Anything that can affect the inner ear can cause these symptoms.  

?I hope you feel better.  I know it's very frustrating.  I feel the same a lot.  I hope you feel better.

• Posted

Oh yes, it can definitely cause anxiety.  Feel spacey and like you're in a dream can be a very freaky feeling.  And the feeling of this and dizziness can cause anxiety and panic, because you're body might be going into fight-or-flight mode.

• Posted

I hope it gets much better after Wednesday! Thank you for taking the time to reply to me smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.