Can increased fibre really help to heal fissures /piles?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I visited my doctor today following bleeding after BM for 3 weeks now, beating my previous record by 4 days. I told him how Creams had made no difference, nor stool softeners or spending less time on the loo and asked if I could try rectogesic instead. He refused and said it wouldn't help heal a fissure or piles and only prevents spasm and told me to use fibrogel instead. I told him I am worried about the blood each day and he said 'if I told you not to worry at all about it would it help?' he said nothing I've described raises any red flags and so to just go on with life as usual.

So basically I have to go away, take fibrogel and just put up with the blood each day.

Can this stuff actually make a difference? Will it make me need the loo all day (I have a stupid fear of pooping at work, especial if I'm going to bleed too)?

I'd be lying if I said I not going to worry anymore but if the doc isn't worried at least I can maybe try to worry a bit less.

Ant advice or tales of fibrogel usage would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Interesting that you ask this--I just read a medical study that looked at increased fiber for patients with grade 3 and 4 grade hemorrhoids facing surgery.  The control group took only increased fiber.  They were facing surgery!  But at the end of I believe 6 months, almost 60% of them were "greatly pleased."  It was a small patient sample group but still encouraging.

i would say give yourself some time and you will start to feel better.  It isn't likely to heal overnight.  Best wishes!

• Posted

I have tried various types of fibres but have not been able to get satisfactory results though still I keep using knowing no other option.. Would the successful users be nice to tell us the fibre which is suiting them. Once we know various options, we can try each one by one till we strike an answer for us. Needless to say that response differs from person to person but I feel views of satisfied fibre users will be very helpful to the needy like me.
    • Posted

Psyllium husk fiber (powder) is good too.  Nasty stuff--you mix with liquid--heaping teaspoon 3 x day to start.  You won't get better in a day--it takes time to heal--just be patient, get more fiber than you think you need, and I think you can heal what you have going on.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I have been using Psyllium husk powder since long which does produce results. However if take it daily, I get mouth ulcers just after 2 days use. Hence I restrict its use to one or at the most twice a day.

In this Forum, use of Chia Seeds has been also suggested which I may try.

• Posted

I am having a glass of prune juice a day, bananas and veg, I have seen an improvement in mine in just a week (it's an external one) I'm also using cream from doctor and suppositories 

• Posted

Hi, generally fibre is recommended for Haemorrhoids, but it's the soluble fibre mainly, fybogel I think is mostly soluble fibre, but a great natural source of fibre are chia seeds 1 tablespoon contains about 4 grams of mostly soluble fibre, you soak them, 1 tablespoon in a glass of water soak for about an hour add juice for taste stir well and drink, Chia seeds go glutinous in water, very easy to drink, have about 3 tablespoon per day, this is what I do plus I eat about 100 grams of raspberries per day which are full of fibre, another thing I've found when you go to toilet you want you knees higher than your hips, to imitate the squatting position I put my feet on 5 litre emulsion container, your knees get really high, it works, apparently there's a sort of kink/bend in the descending colon sigmoid part, but when squatting which is the natural way, you straighten this kink/bend out, makes things much easier to go.

• Posted

After reading your views, I have started taking Chia seed as recommended by you. One tablespoon in a glass of water soaked for  about 1.5 hrs. You say it is very easy to drink but I have found it a bit difficult? It swells and get very thick.  Anyway let us see how it benefits me. If it does, one does not mind inconvenience to swallow it.
  • Posted

I would go back to your doctor and ask for an appointment at the hospital to get checked out. Are you in the UK?
    • Posted

I'm in the UK and I'm on a waiting list for a hospital appointment. I had an appointment set up for March but cancelled it after 3 months with no issues.

The bleeding continues today and I feel so disheartened by it. This is by far the worst period I've had of continued bleeding and they're seems to be nothing I can do to stop it.

I going to try sheriproct for a few days, day and night to see if I can do anything to get rid of the problem.

The bleeding

• Posted

Hi am having the same problem as you bleeding for 12 days . It's so depressing. Have been to docs twice and was told it's a thrombosed pile .Have suffered  with them for a long time but have never had them bleed as much.Have you had any improvement  now .April 

• Posted

Had 3 days with no blood now. I decided to try sitz baths, loads of water and lots of fibre and it seems to help. So far, so good.
    • Posted

So pleased you have had some improvement . Am still having problems and am doing all the things you are. Have anxiety so not helping my general wellbeing . Regards April
  • Posted

None of them work for me. Recently, I've changed my eating habits. Green juice + fruit juice. Quit fast food/spicy/deep fried/strong taste... My 15 year old hemorrhoids no longer give me problems (2 months already). It's just like dead skin in the area and I think it will eventually disappear on its own. Honestly, as long as no swell no bleed no pain, I don't care if I have an extra skin hanging.

I will not opt for surgery by all costs. That always come with side effects.

Good luck to you and hope it helps you too.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your message . I like you developed haemorrhoids after I had my children. They have always been troublesome but 2 weeks ago started to bleed and every time I go to the toilet I get blood. I like you do not want surgery at any cost. Can you tell me what sort of things you juice and blend and do you eat meat at all. Many thanks , kind regards April
    • Posted

I actually was not trying to work on Haemorrhoids.  We moved 2 months ago and I'm making major change to our eating habbit and everything happen magicly.  First, my poop has different softeness.  I no longer sit on the toilet long and it came fast and easy and smooth and regular time.  The most importantly, hammorrhoid no longer swell.  That was happening right next day.

There are few things got my alarm.  Pizza, greasy, spicy...  If I have pizza 2 or 3 meals on a row, the chances of swelling is high. 

I juice... carrot, watermelon, pineapple, cantoloupe, beet.  (My girl is a fruit lover).

then, I pull the juice into blender with veg... celery, spinach, beet leave, carrot leave, lettuce.... basically the common greens... nothing special.  Most of time, I put in the salad mix but I heard celery is really good and we like it too.  I will add honey or dates if need sweetness.  Quit soda, coffee....  Drink green tea and Chrysanthemum tea.  

Hope that works for you.  It's a life change!  Dont give up and you always have my cheers.

Best wishes.

• Posted

About your immediate need... Sitz bath + organic apple cider vinegar, warm water...that works the best.  Those pills they sell online... work for the first time and fail after... 
    • Posted

Thank you so much .Will let you know how I get on . Are you in England ? April
    • Posted

You put the Apple cider vinegar in the sitz bath? How much? How often?

Have you tried coconut oil applied directly on the hemorrhoid? Thank you 

• Posted

I did not really measure, I just pull a little...like 2-3 table spoon?!  I did not try coconut oil.
    • Posted

As often as I need to reduce pain and swelling. The peak, I did 3 time a night sit on it until water cold.
    • Posted

Hi am very low with this problem .Did your haemorrhoids  bleed even if you didn't poop. I have had this today they are very swollen and I went for a pee and they bledo have you had this .Regards to you .

• Posted

Oh yeah, it bleeds all the time any time. And will drip like water tap not shut well. I used pad every day just in case. It will soak a heavy pad and keep running for few days. It was so bad.

One more observation, if I eat lots of meat, it will turn bad. Poop is your indicator.

You could try 2 table soon apple cider vinegar empty stomach first in the morning. That seems help too.

Good luck.

• Posted

It is scary to see it bleeds nonstop. Not much you can do but pad at that moment. it runs in stages. Have to work in it before get worse. Try anything natural...
    • Posted

Good luck and best wishes... It will get better, don't give up.

• Posted

Hi April I would go back to your doctor.

I had four internal and two external removed in October last year. I also had bleeding. I read everything what was said on this site and was scared for the operation. For BM I was given lactulose and fybogel and pain I was given paracetamol and dihydrocodeine. The first BM was painful as you do not know what to expect but I had showers then sat in a hot bath after each one. I did not have much pain as I only took paracetamol. For breakfast I ate bran flakes and added either raspberries or blackberries and drank lots of water which helps to soften your stools. I hope this helps you.

• Posted

Am so depressed and keep crying all the time .Don't know how you put up with this for so long.Did you go to see anybody  about it and did they suggest  surgery . April 

• Posted

Yeah, it's very sad. But I'm all alone with my daughter and I gotta be strong. Whenever I go for routine check, my doctor will ask me if surgery. I thought of the possible leaks and other problems...I have enough problems in life and need no more. I spend the energy on research. Try try and try. Observe and trying to manage.

We in US 10 years moved 9 times to 5 cities. Job, school, life... This is our 2nd time attempt to settle down but still not sure we could. That explain why I don't have time to worry this. As long as I'm up, I'm good. I have so many other things I could cry...

Every one say Fiber, every article say fiber. But I think it's just one reason. I try prune juice too..Oak meal...It helps little. Nothing significant.

It's very depressed when bleed or swell. But my bleed don't always pain. I actually rather bleed then pain. Bleed will give me break after and shrink down faster afterwards.

Hemmoride creates mess in life but not health. It won't kill. I know it's bad but you gotta find ways to keep going and keep working on it.

I wish my doctor will give me good advise but... I wish someone will tell me juice and blend...

My dear, I hope my way could help you. I'm juicing twice a week now and drink with my daughter. I want it fix naturally without burden. So today, I'm gonna juice water melon, then put in beet leaf and carrot leaf to blend. I find whatever leftover in the fridge (like mushroom and carrot) and blend. It also help clearing fridge and buy new. It's all good.

Don't think about current condition too much. Focus on healthy eating and detox in mind. Be positive be happy. I can do it and fix in 15 years, you can do it too.

• Posted

Hi, if you have Haemorrhoids, you could try essential oils, Cypress, Frankincense, Peppermint, Tea Tree, these essential oils ard some recommended, you can USD them in combination, need to be mixed with a carrier oil like sweet almond oil or Johoba oil, 2 drops essential oil to 1 teaspoon of carrier oil, so 8 drops of essential oil the above mentioned to 4 teaspoons of carrier oil, mix and massage on the problem area, essential oils have many properties, astringent, anti-inflammatory, etc, check online.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your message it was an inspiration  to read and I see you have had a tough life but yourather positive outlook is very humbling . I will keep in touch and my best wishes to you and your daughter.
    • Posted

I'm all good today. It's been almost 3 months no problem whatsoever. No surgery no medicine but healthy eating.

• Posted

Thank you and you too. All the best and wait to hear your good news.

Cheers...jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie how are you. Have just gone 8 days with no bleed but today it's started again what a disappointment . Feel so down again. Hope you well April. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.