can iPad cause frozen shoulder??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is it possible that frozen shoulder is bought on by repetitive actions. I spend a LOT of time sitting in an armchair holding ipad in left hand looking down. I have frozen shoulder in my left shoulder and have had it now for 3 months. Nothing is working on relieving the constant ache and I find I am living on pain killers. Night time is definately the worst. I am trying to not hold my iPad in my left hand and have been using a cushion to rest it on, I don't know if this is what aggravated it in the first place but I can't think of anything else that could of caused it.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the ex act same situation. I also hold my iPad or Ebook reader for hours in my left hand and have a frozen left shoulder. My frozen shoulder also occurred about three month ago with no improvement through Physiotherapy.

I often feel sometimes some pain in my elbow and arm if I hold it too long in the same position. So, I'm also interested in the answer.

• Posted

Hi Kerri and Stephan I too have had a Frozen shoulder through holding an I Pad. I have been to my GP who tells me I can have a Cortisone Injection but said it was painful and didn't stop pain  for long. GP also told me it lasts for 2 years I have been online on sites and they all say it lasts for 2 to 3 years!! Take care Polly 
  • Posted

Hi everyone, yes using an ipad or similar certainly can cause frozen shoulder. I can confirm that. I had suffered for some months from odd pain and slight restriction and eventually visited doc who recommended physio, 7 weeks of weekly sessions did not help other than temp relief for a few hours after and the condition worsened, pain changed and the freeze took place. GP on that first visit had said not frozen as too much mobility hence the referral to physio which luckily insurance covered. Revisit t GP after being off work for a week resulted in referral to Orthopaedic surgeon for investigation, that consultation told me even before x-ray that I did indeed have frozen shoulder and intense nerve pain ?trapped nerves diagnosis too far gone for injections and now awaiting surgery in a few weeks for capsular release. I have been off work now5 weeks and likely to be 5 more, if there is one thing I can advise is DON'T take no for an answer, my physio told me within 10 mins what caused the problem and despite intense treatment even she thought it might end up freezing, the pain and discomfort now is debilitating. The physio says the are seeing huge increase in this nowadays, look after yourself, At 46 I feel 96!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.