Can iron deficiency cause palpitations and excessive yawning on a daily basis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diasgnoised with iron and protein deficiency a few weeks ago after I had dropped a lot of weight and became nearly underweight from my eating disorder and experienced palpitations.

I have since gained over 4 pounds, am eating healthy amounts of food every day, and I've also started taking an iron gummy(15mg).

I know it takes while to get back into a normal range, but this excessive yawning is getting out of hand. Even if I'm not fatigued or sleepy, I'm constantly yawning.

The palpitations feel like a flip flopping in my chest. In fact, I was using a heart rate app on my phone, and was able to actually catch one of the palpitations while they were occurring, and it showed up as an extra beat very very close to the last.

I had my thyroid levels tested, chest xray, EKG, and those came up normal.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Advanced anaemia can cause palpitations. When red blood cells are unhealthy and cannot bind oxygen adequately, the tissues and cells become starved of oxygen. As a result, the heart begins to pump harder to send out more red blood cells in an effort to make up for the missing oxygen in the tissues. This excess pressure and stress on the heart can result in abnormal heartbeats and heart palpitations. Make certain your provider checks not only your complete blood count (CBC) for outright anaemia but also your ferritin levels which are your iron storage. Few cases require iron transfusion to rectify the associated problems. Get special advice on exercising, if you do regularly, as it can aggravate palpitations. I hope it gets better along with your treatment.
    • Posted

Could this also be the cause of the yawning? That symptom scares me a lot. Anyway, thank you for your answer, that helps ease my mind.
  • Posted

Yeah when it is advanced it can cause heart palpitaions. Had that before i started my treatment 2 years ago. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.