Can it really be mind over matter?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I terrified about having a 1mm stone in my upper kidney. Dr says it may just stay there and not come out, but gave me Flomax to take at the first sign of pain, should it move. I have 3 travel dates coming up and thinking now that I'd better cancel them. Dr.tried telling me that if it does start passing, the pain pills will make me comfortable enough to go about my usual life and that if I sit and think about how awful it is then it will be. In other words, mind over matter. True or false?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Flomax will just help you urinate more.  It relaxes the muscles in the bladder and it's for an enlarged prostate.  Hydrocodone is for pain.  ( Norco)  If you do think the worst of it, it does make it worse.  It is mind over matter.  The pain comes first and then anxiety also makes it worse.  Good luck with it man.  

• Posted

Hi scareddcar. My stone was 7.4mm when it was discovered. I had very little pain from it until it started moving. Apparently the ureter is 4mm wide. The stent makes it wider for a smaller stone to pass through easily, and also for the laser and whatever else the surgeon uses in the surgery I just had. If your stone stays at 1mm I hope it can pass easily for you. My stone couldn't pass at all without being broken up.

I hope you have a stone that is happy to just stay where it is and not cause too much problem. Best of luck!

• Posted

My stone is 27 mm certainly too bit to either pass or blast so count yourself lucky!

I'm beginning to find that if I get upset about something that can trigger the pain off, so yes in a way it is a bit of mind over matter. I tend to be better if I can be out doing things rather than just sitting at home, thinking about it.

Having said that, there are times for me when the pain is really bad and I am lying in bed with a hot water bottle.

Try to enjoy your traveling, though I know that is difficult when you know you have this stone inside you.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.