Can kidney function improve

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've been told to stop taking ibuprofen because it's affecting my kidney function. Once off them, will my kidney function improve. Thanks!

Anna

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

absolutely yes. in fact I find mine has fluctuations. my GFR has been as low as 28 and as high as 40. it can absolutely improve. However i don't think it can ever be 100% again with CKD because of damage but with DIET, and lifestyle changes your GFR can definitely improve. I cut out soda and drink at least 5 bottles of water a day. I stick to a STRICT kidney friendly diet. you can find many suggestions online as to what EXACTLY is kidney friendly and what is not. you might be suprised that something as simple as tomatoes are not kidney friendly. if you get absolutely serious about your kidney friendly diet and watch EVERYTHING you eat and drink and put into your body, you will be surprised on how much you can RAISE your GFR in a matter of a few months!! I've cut out ALL salt, I've cut out red meat in exchange for LEAN PROTEIN such as turkey, soy, and fish. I look online for kidney friendly or kidney boosting vegetables and make sure to add those vegetables and fruits to my meals. I cut my coffee down to ONE cup in the morning. my soda is also limited to one small soda at evening meal and lots and lots of water in between.. kidneys ♡♡love water. .Do not take ANY pills that are processed through the kidneys. if you must take medicine check online and make certain it's processed through the liver and NOT the kidneys. when I got serious with my diet and really watched what I put into my body my GFR went up considerably. You will have GFR fluctuations. it works both ways. if your careless about diet the GFR can and will drop. The kidneys are trying and having to work harder to rid the bodies toxins. I really hope this helps you out. so stay positive and remember you can raise your GFR. for me, diet was a HUGE factor in doing this. I hope this helps and I'm here if you have any questions or just need to talk. best wishes and hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hey, I have kidney inflamation and it has been getting worse. I switched kidney doctors because the one I had did not help. my gfr is relly low. 16 sad I know that my kidney function will be be 100% but is there a possibility that it can increase from 16?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.