Can liver cancer be misdiagnosed as fatty liver???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

for a few months now ive been having bad abdominal pains, bloating, and acid reflux....

ive had an abdominal Ct and ultrasound and many blood tests, im also awaiting an endoscopy.

the only thing seen was a fatty liver, as a 25 year old male im not happy with that and have changed my diet.

im wondering though... is there still a chance that its not actually fatty liver rather its liver cancer or cirrosis? i dont drink or smoke and have been eating well for a couple months but my symptoms arent improving..

please help me with any advice you can.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

they would have been able to see disease from cancer and scarring from cirrhosis on almost all the scans you had done. its doubtful they would have missed that because the liver is so large.

• Posted

i agree Heather. i don't think they will miss scarring from fibrosis to cirrhosis from all the scans you had. However, a fatty liver for your age is not good. Did they tell you what's the cause why you have fatty liver? you said you're not a drinker nor a smoker. Do you take any daily medications? Good for you for changing your diet to healthy ones.

• Posted

Honestly my doctor kind of brushed it off and said most people get fatty liver.. ive mostly chocked it up to being a bit over weight and eating like a student...

• Posted

Ive got fatty liver and a bit cirrhosis, I suffer badly with bloating at times and pain and ive got irritable bowel syndrome , ,it causes all of that and I have to take mebeverine three times daily to keep it at bay, but it doesnt work if I get stressed out it gets worse and I have an autoimmune disease which flares up see youre doctor for irritable bowel syndrome and he should know if its that it causes pain in youre bowel area down the front where youre bowels are if I didnt take mebeverine 3 times a day the pain would be worse, try not to worry too much the tests would have picked it up, youre scans would show the cirrhosis as it showed my cirrhosis , dont worry yourself too much youre liver tablet helps to keep the cirrhosis at bay, mines was caused by a blood transfusion when I was born, I get checked every 6 months , scan , bloods, urine checked , and a load more tablets, scans show everything so try that go see youre doctor about irritable bowel syndrome all the best janicexxxxxxxxx

• Posted

Cancer/cirrhosis would have shown up on your tests and you would have been told about it. Accept your diagnosis of fatty liver since that showed on your scan. These scans are very accurate. Liver cancer would be very rare at your age. Wait to see what your endoscopy shows; it may reveal the reason why you are not feeling better.

• Posted

Of course, IBS can also cause abdominal pain, bloating and acid reflux but it does not show on any scan. Your previous student diet may have caused a fatty liver. I don't know whether it is true that most people get a fatty liver. I am 46 and I had my liver scanned on ultrasound in 2015 to diagnose my abdominal pain. My liver was normal and healthy. I was diagnosed with IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.