Can low Vitamin D be causing all of my anxiety?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I found out the other day after getting some blood work done that my Vitamin D is low at 20 (whatever units), when it should be above 50. The doctor prescribed me 50,000 iu of Vit D2 once a week for 6 months, and I ordered some Vit D 5000 iu which I will take daily along with Magnesium Citrate. 

My question is, has anyone experienced decreased levels of anxiety by improving their levels of vitamin D? Or maybe their anxiety going away all together? I was also prescribed Lexapro, but I would really like to avoid this medicine if at all possible. I am hoping that by increasing my Vitamin D to a healthy level, my anxiety will reduce to a much more tolerable (normal) level that I can handle on my own without the use of prescription drugs. I am a 22 year old male. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I take a supplement of magnesium, calcium & vit d.

i am not medically trained just desperate to help myself without being pumped full of drugs.

i have learnt that high stress hormome levels depleat the above.

sunlight is also important for vit d

• Posted

I'm low in vitamin d my level is 31 u make a good point I have bad anxiety I wonder if it's because of low d as well
  • Posted

Mine is the same. My vitamin D is low...like 17 and I haven't taken any pills yet. When you find out please post because I have been having extreme panic attacks like everyday and my anxiety is extreme..it seems like it lasts all day everyday and I've tried all kinds of medicines but all they do is have me nausea, and dizzy, and drowsy. I'm scared to try new medicine because I had to go to the emergency room for the side effects. Also my symptoms are: dizziness, weakness, headaches, nausea, shortness of breath is the worst tho...I really feel like I'm dying each time. Chest pain..neck pain.heart races so much..it's crazy. Please if someone has any info that can help please do. I hate medicine and I've been trying on my own
  • Posted

Need to balance the vitamins. Vit d should be around 30-50. I think they just raised the levels. B complex vitamin, magnesium and calcium. Keep a log on how you feel after meals food intolerance can add to anxiety. Wotking out is very helpful to raise endorohins and improve circulation too. Learn mindfullness. Belly breathing its extremly useful and calming. Its not that it goes away the fight or flight response is a part of you, its managing it and training yourself on proper behavioral reactions and responses on a ohysical level. The vitamins are good because anxiety drains the body. Oddly bananas and avacodoes, cashews, celery, basil are all good for anxiety and have nutrients in them to ease it. there are natural ways to calm as well..reiki, yoga, meditatiin, healing mediations, theta waves, binurual beats..get a book on cbt for anxiety and read it or audible and listen to it to help you 
    • Posted

Thank you so much...from this point I am ready to try any and everything. I can't even laugh a lot because I makes it worse. When I'm sleep I wake up to my heart racing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.