CAn Lupus Be un detected once we are diagnosed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, can lupus be un-detected once we are diagnosed?  I know someone that says she is free of lupus due to drinking herbal tea twice a day.  Now, I stand corrected, I thought Lupus can be in Remission, but once you're dignosed, it's not cured or un-detected.  has anyone heard of this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi no I doubt if herbal tea could cure Lupus! Once you have the markers which in my case is Seronegative as all I have is an ANA I go down the Psoriatic line. Once your on a medication like MTX it knocks your ana out and that's that. They never bother to check it again. I hope you understand. People do go on strange diets to cure themselves but I prefer to listen to my body and eat small regular meals and rest when I can but do as much as I can to stay active. 
  • Posted

Hi,

A number of modern medicines start out as herbal remedies or homeopathic treatments. With a great deal of research the active ingredients can be identified and with refinement of the compunds they are then produced as medicines as we know them, for example: Aspirin, this is derived from Willow bark, also, the active ingredient in Tea Tree extract is known to have antibiotic properties. Another very apt example is the use of Quinine based drugs in the managment of Auto-immune diseases such as Lupus, this drug and its derivatives are the result of researching the benefits of Tonic water which was added to Gin to make G & T, a favourite of the ex-pats living in India during the days of the British Empire, those who drank it were found to have an immunity to Malaria. It was discovered that Tonic water is naturally high in Quinine, the rest is history, as they say! So, it is perhaps feasible that there is some benefit in drinking herbal tea in the management of symptoms or it may be that the combination of herbs may impact on the immune system in a specific way to reduce the frequency of flares or severity of symptoms, without some enterprising scientists to research this we may never know. It could also be a case of the Placebo effect, the belief that it works can have a positive effect on how the body responds.

Once diagnosed Lupus doesn't go away or become cured, but it can be inactive or in remission. Perhaps your friend is just going through a long phase of inactivity. From all the research I've done into Lupus and other Auto-immune diseases I have found that the presence of ANAs is something which is indicative of disease but without further tests the specific illness cannot be identified, once present they do not disappear. At the onset of a flare they can dramatically increase in number and then settle back to a specific level known as a titer i.e.: 1:320 or 1:1280 and so on. 

Hope that helps.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hello Kittycat34

an interesting question with several angles to answer. You've had a few responses to the herbal and dietry changes which can be made as either plasibo or confirmed herbal remedy. There's a great deal to be said about the properties of herbal remedies and I am certainly open to the prospects, as well as having had some previous successes. 

However to answer your question in a different way. I've been informed that it is certainly possible to have lupus and that it can be un-detectable.  Much like Pam 87693 who coments to be Seronegative may never show markers in the blood.  There are medications which can hide Lupus from showing up in the blood and from Lupus UK when the lupus goes into remission it can also be difficult to detect. 

If only it was that simple.  To drink two cups of herbal tea a day.  Any chance you can let us know what herbal tea your friend was drinking.  I'd certainly give it a go and see if my symptoms will go away with it.  At this stage I'd try anything

many thanks

Andy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.