Can Maxalt make the headache worse before it gets better?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I have been taking Maxalt for my migraines for awhile but it seems like it gets worse before it gets better. Is this normal?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julia,have you tried Naratriptan,which is a longer acting triptan or Sumatriptan? I think Maxalt is quite a short acting triptan and I used to have to use it more frequently to get any effect.Ask your Doc for a different type of triptan.It can take a while to get the right type to treat your migraine.Hope you get some relief soon.Its very isolating suffering from migraine as many Doctors and health professionals don't understand what we go through.Let us know how you get on x

• Posted

I haven’t tried naratriptan but I can’t take sumatriptan because I’m allergic to sulfa.
  • Posted

Hi

Are you taking the Maxalt right at the onset of a migraine....as that is so important as if you wait too long the triptans won't work as they should . If after Two hours you still have headache you can take another Rizatriptan but not more than two in a 24 hour.  This is for Rizatriptan I believe may be generic for Maxalt. That is interesting about Sumatriptan having Sulfa.....I guess that is why my doctor prescribes Rizatriptan for me as I too am allergic to sulfa. keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.