Can mirtazapine cause shortness of breath/ trouble breathing?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Plz, anyone whos got experience with it , comment your story/ what you felt and how long it lasted, but only the ones who felt this side effect. Plz be specific !

Now a little background of my story ⤵

I never got any trouble or problem with my breathing. Yes, it was a bit short but it never gave me problems. I started tapering mirtazapine 1 year and a month ago, because i read so many bad things about antidepressants that i didn't want that in my system, so a started tapering. The first 7 months i didn't experience any breathing issue , although a few weeks before getting the breathing issue i noticed i was breathing from my mouth than my nose because i felt it a bit difficult? But it was mild and then boom! One day it started really bad and now is been 6 months almost 7 with it. It sometimes goes away or so i think, but it comes back and sometime a bit more bothersome. I have gotten check ups like: The air in my blood wish was perfect, an x ray of my lungs and multiple times check with a stethoscope to make sure my lungs sounded well and everything came out really good/ perfect, However i still feel and suffer from this and is very bothersome to a point it drives me mad. And on top i have another year left to taper, how am i going to keep handling this when is sooo annoying? Anyone can relate? plz let me know!

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have suffered symptoms like this several times last week , but it seems to pass again its like your throat is tightening up , i think its just anxiety for me

• Posted

at least yours went away, i wish with all my heart that mine goes 2 😢 it had made me soo depressed because i have health anxiety/ocd and i keep thinking im gonna die. Gosh what a nightmare.

• Posted

i have health anxiety also and ive only been on these tabs a few days i feel awful!... like im short of breath, my head feels drowsy and not with it, i also feel like im guna die which caused my anxiety to go through the roof:(, i hope it passes soon

• Edited

I I also had a lot of problems breathing while on the remeron. I think that you'll feel better once the drug is completely out of your system and your body is no longer physiologically addicted.

• Posted

Really?, was it on it or while tapering? and what exactly did you felt? i mean, explain the symptoms , for example: couldn't breathe enough air along with cough and tightness etc?

• Posted

i am tapering off and my breathing can feel laboured. it feels like i have a low level cold all the time cos of the histamine intolerance whilst tapering.

what dose are you on ?

• Posted

it was both while I was on it and tapering. I felt like I just could not catch my breath.I would have to take a very long deep breath and hold it so I could get enough oxygen in my lungs. scary feeling of suffocation. it's been a month now since I've been off the remeron and feel so much better because my nose doesn't get congestion and I can take long deep breaths

• Posted

oh wow 😕 and im at 2.3mg right now and yed I've heard about the histamine but is so complicated

• Posted

I was at 30 mg per day. Then the doctor put me on 45 mg per day and I took that for four days and just decided to get off it all together. it was becoming too much. since I was only on the medication 3 months I decided to go cold turkey and really didn't have any withdrawals except for the labored breathing

• Posted

Breathing becomes sometimes a freaking task 😦 i'm so sad and mad, why did i had to end up in this drug? all i pray to god is to help me, because this is really a challenge.

I get a tingling sensation that makes me cough, then i feel i cant breathe enough air, had to take deep breaths and is not that enough, my nose takes less air in so i breath through my mouth sometimes , feel suffocated , bloated.. ugh damn this!

• Posted

hi, do you all feel better now? I an wondering if this difficulty in breathing will go away after sometime?

• Posted

you have it to?!?! omg , not to sound weird but thank god im not alone! for me, is been 1 years feeling like this, is horrible, i want to cream it feels suffocating! i never had any of this before starting this med and when i started tapering ( which im still am) after some 4 month of taper, it started and now ive been with it for 1 years and some days. i still have a long way to gotta finish this taper so im hoping once im out of this sh** ill be ok again. Tell me your experience with the breathing issue 😃

• Posted

did you come off because it never worked for you or was the problem the breathing?

• Posted

i decided to taper ( which im still am ) because of how bad antidepressants are for people( i know some must take them no matter what) but not for us who i think that some therapy and other stuffs would've help more than just throwing pills at us like thats the solution to everything, so i decided to start tepring, this 2 of november will be 2 years of tapering and i still have a long way to go 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.