Can Mirtazapine help with insomnia?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am suffering with depression, anxiety and insomnia. Had been taking citalopram since November but this week doctor has changed me to 30mg Mirtazapine due to their being no improvement in my insomnia and little improvement in my other symptoms.

I find that I am very tired all of the time but have difficulty falling off to sleep. When I do get to sleep I find that I can sleep for a long time (over 10 hours) but still feel tired when I wake up and throughout the day.

I find that having all this extra sleep is not the reason that I find it difficult to fall asleep because even when I set my alarm to wake up early every morning and have a usual amount of hours asleep (6-8 hours) and stick to a sleep schedule I still have difficulty falling asleep at night and feel tired throughout the day.

Has anyone else experienced insomnia of this description and has Mirtazapine helped?

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yeah I have found that keeping myself occupied with things really helps me. To begin with I just wanted to sleep or lay about on the sofa, but I now that I am past that stage and have more energy I can spend more time doing things to occupy myself. I bought a guitar and attempting to teach myself, it's good for keeping me occupied.
  • Posted

Ahh good stuff... I'm completely musically useless, It's doubtful I could competently play the triangle lol

Have fun !

Regards

Alex

• Posted

Lol, I won't invite you to form a band with me then.

Thanks smile

• Posted

I think your GP has a valid point that your depression and insomnia might be incremental and that you somehow need to break out of that loop. From my experience Mirtazapine could help you cope with both. However I also suspect there are some behavioural loops which you need to break to sleep better. Counselling might certainly help with that.
  • Posted

Hi elisabeth, I have my first appointment for counselling the end of the week, I'm nervous about it sad I think I am going to hate it so keep changing my mind about whether I should go or not.
  • Posted

Good luck fluffy!!, give it a go, and you may be pleasantly suprised if u get a nice one that u feel u can trust smile

Let us know how you get on smile

Alex

• Posted

Hey Alex, the fears are mounting sad.
  • Posted

Aww bless ya , I had that feeling of fear too, I felt like going there would just confirm that there is something wrong with me in the head , like a stigma, I rarely admit to people that I see a therapist because it just sounds so .. I dunno.. Serious. But it's really become a safe haven for me to offload my crap.

If you have any questions, your more than welcome to ask, do you know what type of counsellor it is ?

E.g. Person centred therapy, CBT etc.

• Posted

Yeah i know what you mean, for a long time I wouldn't accept that I had depression, I just thought I was upset for 'this reason' and 'that reason' and refused to get any help because I thought I could deal with it myself.

I just think I'm going to be sat there unable to answer their questions because I don't want to, I had appoinment with one doctor and she was getting really frustrated with me and said she couldn't help me if I didn't talk to her. It was an awful experience.

I'm seeing a community mental health nurse, I don't know what is going to happen.

• Posted

Usually I find, with my therapist at least, it's not a case of answering questions, it's more like just a conversation. I hope that it's the case for you m, just make clear your reluctance and your fears about the whole process right from the beginning and hopefully they can adjust for your needs properly.

Don't get me started on doctors right now, my own GP went mental at me today, he is threatened By the Internet and has some sort of god complex. Other doctors I've met are much more accommodating and CAN admit that they sometimes get it wrong.

I really hope it helps you out in the long run, but remember it's a long process, don't let them push you any faster than u want to go. Your welcome to message me if your not too keen on throwing everything out in public.

• Posted

I think my fears of them are going to be pretty clear to them sad. I'm going to be twirling my hair like crazy!

There's one GP at my surgery who I will refuse to see after the way he treated me!

They said at my first appointment they are going to assess my needs to see what they could do, or to see if they need to refer me to someone else. So I can imagine that it is going to be a whole list of questions which will annoy me because they should know everything from my GP.

Thanks smile you can message me too.

• Posted

Hello Fluffy. I've just been to an assessment with a cpn after being referred by my GP. She has suggested I try mirtazapine and told me to research it and amazingly it's lead me to this forum where I can see you have very recently posted. I just wanted to say I was going to cancel my appt because frankly I thought it would be pointless and not do any good anyway. But you know what?, I actually felt like when I spoke the nurse listened, understood and suggested things to me which is not what I've experienced with my GP. Following years of going to various appointments and trying different meds, I've had a variety of positive and negative experiences with the health profession. Any person on any forum will tell you the same. But whatever experience you have at your appointment, no one can take away how empowering it feels that you are at least trying to do something. Perhaps, when you are feeling anxious about going to your appt you could maybe remind yourself at least you are trying and taking some control, (even when you feel out of control!) Thinking of you, even though we've never met smile
  • Posted

Hi onewomancrusade, aww thankyou for your message, that's really nice.
  • Posted

my doctor said mirtazapine works best in lower dose for sleep. im on 15mg and asked if he could up the dose because i still wasnt sleeping. He told me try taking 1/2 at a time. still not working. let me know if you had any luck with your insomnia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.