Can Mold Exposure Trigger Autoimmune Issues?

Posted , 6 users are following.

About 1 year ago we discovered substantial mold in the crawlspace of our previous house. No idea how long we were exposed. Around the same time, I got very bad joint pain in my left leg as well as a flare up of psoriasis. I'd had dry skin in my beard for years but this flare up got my attention and so I saw a doctor.

Additionally, my nails got very thin around this time (resulting in two ingrown toenails). Also my tongue started stinging so that everytime I eat anything even mildly spicy or drink a carbonated beverage it feels like I'm eating hot peppers.

We've been out of the house for nearly an entire year and many symptoms still persist. My leg is better but nails are still thin (they were quite thick before). I also recently contracted pseudomonas which typically only effects those with weak immune systems. Any idea what's going on with me?

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

  • Posted

    Yes, mold can cause autoimmune issues. Around 25% of the population's bodies are unable to clear mold. You will most likely continue to have symptoms until you bind the toxins out from your body. Please look up CIRS, I think this will help you. It is difficult to find doctors who treat this but you can get activated charcoal from the store which will act as a binder to remove toxins.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    What is going on with you is most likely the autoimmune condition psoriasis...this is not just a skin condition.  Something triggers it and mold could be the trigger that sent your minor skin condition into an autoimmune  attack on other parts of your body. I had this same thing happen to me and had psoriasis for years before the chronic inflammation hit me hard.   Back pain was severe, thin nails, sick a lot, pain in fingers.  Horrific!  Get your butt to a rheumatologist NOW!  You most likely have high inflammation and it needs to be treated because chronic inflammation can wreak havoc on your body severely.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    You guys seem very knowledgeable on this subject.

    I has a similar issue with damp and mold. My symptons are chronic fatigue and a permanently blocked nose. Recently developed ear pressure. Could this be an allergic reaction?

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up