Can mono cause shakiness or dry mouth?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 16, female, and healthy before being diagnosed with mono in July. My full list of symptoms include: severe fatigue, worsened anxiety, weakness, joint stiffness and sometimes pain, one swollen tonsil, loss of appetite, and nausea occasionally. But now I'm also experiencing mouth dryness when I eat bread, stuffy nose, vaginal dryness, and sometimes my whole body trembles, especially when I'm anxious. My CBC showed nothing abnormal apart from mono and low vitamin D levels, but I'm still extremely worried about all of this. Does anyone know if any of those things, especially the trembling, can be caused by mono? I don't know what else to do since my family thinks I'm just paranoid (which I probably am), and we don't have the money to go in for more tests apart from the regular blood ones assuming my doctor would even approve them. Please help!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Alle,

So sorry to hear you've been going through this awful time with mono, I really do empathise having went through the virus a number of years ago and had an equally tough time with it. 

I just want to reassure you that things will get better, it is such a frightening and intense illness and when it goes on for months - but I want to reassure you that this is normal and the symptoms you describe absolutely sound normal from my experience of it, and definitely I think trembling / shaking and dry mouth can be very normal with this. Even if it takes a little time still, absolutely you will get better Alle, I felt the same as you and thought it never would at one stage, but it just takes time unfortunately with this thing. I know that doesn't make it any easier to cope each day when feeling so horrible, but just absolutely want you to know that this doesn't last forever and it does go away eventually and you will get back to full health again.

Taking vitamins and herbs can really help, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), B complex vitamin (great for energy levels and nervous system) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, echinicea, oregano. Also taking a Vitamin D supplement a good idea if low on that and drinking lots of water.

Thinking about you Alle and hang in there - you ARE going to get better I truly believe that from my own horrible experience of this thing. 

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement. When I first got this, I had never anticipated it would cause so many symptoms or take so much out of me. I don't remember having ever been so stressed or feeling so awful before in my life before. I'll have to find some of those herbs next time I'm out - I'm willing to try anything to ease or shorten this horrible virus.

• Posted

Hi Alle,

Oh I know this virus is so horrible and draining, I never expected it to go the way it did for me either or last as long. I know how frightening and depression and awful is it to live through it - still thinking about you Alle and absolutely want you to know that everything you describe sounds normal for mono to me and is it unfortunately normal for it to go on this length of time - it took me a few months longer than where you are now to get better but I did get better and you will too, plus you being younger hopefully is an advantage in that recovery I'm hoping will be quicker!

I do want to reassure you that having the diagnosis of mono is a good thing in terms of knowing what's going on, and it's not likely to be MS or Sjorgens or anything like that, but I do understand your fears and worries and I was the same too thinking 'surely all this can't be from mono?'. But I found out that it could and it was, and that with some time and just being kind to your body, resting and not putting yourself under any pressure or expectations right now, things absolutely will get better!!

Thinking about you and remember just managing and coping with each day is enough for now, getting through each day is a massive achievement with this thing. And you will get better!! I truly believe that. 

Craig

• Posted

I too have become very clumsy and shakey I’ve broken so many glasses dishes you name it ... this is an awful illness but you’re young enough to get over it quickly !

If you do what they say which is rest low stress eat well and hydrate . 

• Posted

It truly is a horrible feeling to have all of these symptoms... I've been having a lot of trouble eating lately which I think may be setting me back even further in my recovery, but I really hope we both feel better soon and that these symptoms go away.

• Posted

Hey there,

so sorry you have to experience this, I wouldn’t wish this upon anyone. 

I am the same age as you and getting this virus knocked me off my feet completely. It started with horrible anxiety that came from nowhere which persisted for 2 months. Finally, in May all the other symptoms caught up and I didn’t go back to school for the rest of the semester. I was weak, so tired from being unable to sleep, extremely anxious and depressed, lost my appetite, felt dizzy and unbalanced, horrible brain fog, etc. 

I think mono can really mess some things up in your system. For me It made my iron levels very low, and other than that just some elevated numbers of white blood cells. Many people have things come up on their blood test results like you, whether it be vitamin deficiencies or the CBC. It usually isn’t anything to be too concerned about but it’s good that you have gotten the tests done and keeping track of it. 

When I was very anxious I had trembling as well and still get it when I am nervous or even too excited about something, and this is coming from someone who has recovered significantly. It will take time to go away but once you start to feel better physically it is only a minor annoyance. 

I hope this reassures you. You are NOT paranoid and you are not alone in what you are experiencing. 

Take care! 

• Posted

I have the shakiness too lately ... it’s like I’m freezing cold . I’ve not had this symptom before ... hopefully it won’t last too long . I am under quite a bit of stress at the moment so maybe that’s the cause. It’s weird things you can normally handle become such a big deal. 
  • Posted

how are you guys now? i see this was 3 years ago. i have similar symptoms my doc did blood tests and i havent received them yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.