Can most docs perform epley manoeuvre?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had a lot of 'head' symptoms for the best part of then last 14 months. I'd mostly learned to get by, as if been misdiagnosed repeatedly.

I'm seeing a doctor at the moment (privately, I might add) who is certain it's related to autoimmune disorders and thyroid problems. I'm currently on a few meds and supplements and seeing him again in a month.

However, for the past 10 days I've been suffering with vertigo. Now, this is not constant. So I'd definitely say it's some form of positional vertigo. If I move to fast when lying down at night, I can feel things just going nuts, spinning everywhere. Even with my eyes closed. I've had a look at the Epley manoeuvre and have been tempted to try this with my wife but I'm worried we might do it wrong.

As I'm due to see my own GP (NHS one) tomorrow night, I'm wondering if this is something all doctors will be familiar with? Is it worth trying out on your own? I'm due to go away on 8th September and would love to have a few of my health problems under some control.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am not a doctor but you can go online and see how the epley manoeuvre is done. I don't think it will hurt you to try it. You should see a Neurotologist for your ears. That's Neuro TOL ogist with a T. They specialize in the inner ear. 

• Posted

Hi there, most NHS doctors will be familiar with the Epley manoeuvre but whether they are all proficient at carrying it out is a different question, as many will only be called upon to use it rarely.

Once an accurate diagnosis of BPPV is made, and on which side the problem lies, the manoeuvre needs to be performed accurately otherwise it can make symptoms much worse, so I wouldn't try it yourself or with an enthusiastic accomplice if I were you. 

From my experience, my GP was quick to recommend the Epley but reluctant to perform it himself, referring me instead to Youtube where, as you will be aware, there are any amount of videos claiming to equip the beginner with the skills and knowledge to carry it out. When I finally had it performed on me, it was by an ENT consultant, who was both confident and extremely competent. It didn't work for me; as it turns out I don't have BPPV so in hindsight there was no reason for it to work, but the consultant didn't know that at the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.