can my birthcontrol be causing flare up?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 31 and was diagnosed with LS approx 6 months ago. almost a year ago I had gotten a brazilian wax and after the second wax i began having issues. I first thought maybe it was just a burn maybe the wax was too hot but struggled all summer with what felt and looked like a diaper rash. Finally went to the doctor as it was getting worse and went thru many tests the most scary being herpes test and all neg, so she reffered me to a derm. Have tried multiple creams and so far betamethasone dipropionate once a day with aquaphor at night seemed to work the best. Was doing great for almost two months and now am having a flare up. Its more located around my anus and a little on the vulva. Cant figure out what has changed except that almost starting my period, I am on seasonal so i only have my period every 3 months. I feel like its more hormonal? Could bithcontrol cuase flare up? Ive been on BC for a while and have never had issues but wondering if i need to stop taking it? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

When I found out also about six months ago after my biopsy mine got worse I was doing everything the doctor said but it wasn't really working until I started trying more natural ways I still follow my doctors instruction for my ointment but I stopped birth control even though they said it didn't make a difference I noticed one I also take pro biotic, wheat grass, vitamin D, coconut oil pills, biotin, and air born immune support I gave noticed a huge difference and I gave also stopped eating gluten in the last month of this combo it is almost gone when before I had no improvement
    • Posted

I hope it works it took a lot if research the new studies say that LS is an auto immune disease so I just looked up what natural things to take for that and I know biotin and coconut are good for the skin also make sure to out coconut oil the kind for cooking I got 100percent natural and gluten free down there on the affected area for moisture as well I try to do it every day if it is a day you use the ointment be sure to Wait twenty min and do your own research auto immune diseases don't affect everyone the same but I hope it works for you
  • Posted

Hi Melissa,  It can be caused by a hormonal inbalance according to 3 doctors I have had the discussion with. Have a thorough thyroid screening to...as it sometimes goes hand in hand with an imbalance there.  A tip from another blogger is to dilute baking soda in water and use it as a cleansing spray after toileting. Also a dab of organic Aloe Vera gel may help. If you have the itch that can come with this...that usually controls it.  Look into fasting for resetting your immune system...this seems to be the only possibility of a cure. I am just coming off a 5 day fast (doctor approved) lots of water, non-caffeine herbal tea and the juice of 2 oranges and 2 lemons per day and have already noticed symptoms subsiding.  I plan to repost in about 10 - 14 days to let folks know if I see this nasty stuff subsiding. Before starting a fast (& no it's not as difficult as I expected) be sure to talk to your doctor and also learn about the safest way to come off a fast to avoid other issues. 
  • Posted

I know that there was a research team looking into the long term affects of birth control and LS.  Don't know whether they have found some results already.  Research with LS is only in the early stages.  However, since this is the first topic they wished to tackle, it may be a good idea to stop your birth control and make your own observations.  

Meanwhile we have to make the best of it.  Many among us have figured out various things - watching your food intake is definately one of them.  I follow a mainly alkaline diet - no gluten, sugar, dairy, alcohol.  Seems to make a difference.

Next to that I'm taking supplements (vit C, D, B's)  Hormone replacement due to other health issues, but may have an affect on the LS as well.  Then I rinse with baking soda, which has already proven to be very affective.  Not to forget the all time moisturizer - coconut oil.  

• Posted

My experience was when I came off the pill it became much worse but I'm 45 and going through the perimenapause so my estrogen was low if not on the pill. So I think we are all different and if you have been on it a while and been ok don't change it. I found that I have to use tampax over towles on my period as I find towles very irritating hope you find some answers xx
  • Posted

Hi. My dermotolagist says there is research to show a link with hormone imbalance. Also re fasting. I Have done the FAST diet, which is 2 days fasting (500) calories for women, and 5 days eating normally. I feel great after the 2 days. It is a good detox. I really feel the benefit for my symptoms. I've been on it a month and the symptoms are greatly improved. Good luck x
  • Posted

I do the probiotic also...the wheat grass, vitamin D, biotin and also use coconut oil for cooking and making.  Diet and supplements do help.  Gluten does aggravate your body...and so if you can do without it...that's great. I haven't gotten there yet...but have seriously considered it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.