Can my blurred vision be from anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 22 years old and For the past three weeks I've been experiencing blurred vision, it's mostly when I'm reading and brighter words are blurrier than others, it's especially bad if I look up from my phone to the TV, but only with words it seems. I've been very anxious over the past two months, more than usual,due to some changes in my personal life and my over thinking has been crazy. Ive been to one optometrist and he said my sight was better than normal, I could make out the smallest row of letters in seeing another for a second opinion, so I'm wondering is it possible that I've somehow convinced myself I have this problem

I'm really scared of something scary like a brain tumour I've tried to stop googling but I can't help myself has anyone else experienced anything like this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

yes anxiety can effect your eyes temporarily, it can effect every part of you very easily. a trip to get your eyes checked will confirm it for you
  • Posted

Yep! I've had that from anxiety too. Also, looking from the phone to TV can cause things to go blurry anyway. My parents go to the optometrist regularly as they both have quite strong glasses and it's amazing all the stuff they can pick up on.

If it persists for a while you could consider making an appointment with the doctor, but if you've been to the doctors before while being anxious you'll know that they are masters at saying "it's just anxiety".

• Posted

My doctor has sent me to see two optomertrists, I'm seeing one tomorrow. I've seen anybody about my anxiety, I tried a few years ago but I had a panic attack and couldn't go through with it. I'm worried if I tell my doctor about it he will over look things as just anxiety and miss something important

• Posted

Honey, your doctor will not miss anything! They're like hawks, believe me. They don't just take on board what you say but what you don't say. They read your body langugage, they watch your coherency and mobility skills, your co-ordination.

Anxiety Disorder is an illness just like any other and you need the help of you GP to deal with it. And telling him/her will make you feel tons better. It will be a step forward. You cannot nor should not try to deal with this on your own

• Posted

Marie, my doctor diagnosed and prescribed quickly  BECAUSE I went in  in panic mode. He only asked me a few questions and looked at me. I was a quivering mass of mess. He knew that was not the me he knew.

By the way, there is no such thing in this world as JUST anxiety!!!! It is a beast. Just because he knows what I'm dealing with doesn't mean he doesn't see or treat other things going on. Once we started dealing with the anxiety and was calm enough, we went on to deal with other things.

• Posted

For me the answer is yes. My vision was getting worse with blurry and wavy vision, especially with TV. It also affected by ability to handle oncoming car lights at night.

One day a couple of weeks after starting anti anxiety meds, I realized all that was gone, and had been for quite a few days. No recurrence, I'm glad to say.

• Posted

I get blurry vision quite often with my Anxiety Disorder. It's a pain in the ass. If I ignore it and don't focus upon it, it soon fades away. In the beginning when I let it frighten me I'd have it all day!

The opthamologis can "see " more than your vision abilities, honey. They can look behind the eye for anything untoward. i know this from personal experience just as I know you DO not have a brain tumour. Trust me on that!!!!

• Posted

Anxiety can cause a variety of scary symptoms! I think I've had them all being a highly anxious person since childhood. Going blurry from looking at the TV from your phone is totally normal. Happens to everyone so don't worry about that. I'd recommend seeing a therapist that specializes in anxiety disorders and possibly starting anti anxiety medication to help I get a grip on it but in the meantime u should exercise at least 30 mins daily even just walking and try listening to meditation videos on utube. A good therapist will also have great strategies to help u concur the anxiety. Best of luck!

• Posted

hi i'm 15 and yes I've definitely experienced this and I've really severe anxiety over the past 2 months I've noticed it's worse in the summer because i'm lessed focused, but I've also had headaches and tightness in the back of my head/neck. I think it's just anxiety but of course I just can't shake the feeling of somethings wrong but you are definitely not alone.

• Posted

The optometrist didn't find anything and he did mention it could be due to recent stress and that I should try and relax and sleep more and see what happens, thankyou everyone so much for replying it really made me feel a lot better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.