Can my doctor change my dosage without talking to me?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking Prozac for about 7 years now. When that alone wasn't working I was prescribed xanax, that was about 3 years ago. My dosage was 1mg 3x daily, it has been this for about a year. Last week on Friday I got my refill and my doctor had changed it to 1mg daily. I do not abuse my medicine, they do pill counts and urine tests every few months when I go to see the doctor, there's never been an issue. I understand that doctors don't like prescribing level 2 drugs, and I have no problem slowly tapering off of it. Also, my doctor knows that I'll be seeing a psychiatrist to take over my mess in December(where I live there's a long wait to be seen). So anyway, I tried taking to 1mg and became very sick. I went to the emergency room and was told to take 2mg daily. I can't actually get in to see my doctor until November. I just want to know if this is ok. My anxiety since the day I picked up my prescription has been terrible. I just don't know what to do.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

well if the doctors in A&E told you to take 2mg daily and you cannot see your GP there is a problem.. your GP receives a copy of your AE report and therefore you can ask for an up in your dosage from your surgery without seeing the GP, they will do it online. You must talk to the secretary and explain, that is not acceptable you should come down from 3mg to 1mg without warning!

• Posted

Depending on where you live if A and E have advised an increase and you cannot contact your GP work on the advisement of the hospital.

The hospital will write to your GP and will explain what they have done. In some areas a nw system has been brought about where the report can be issued straight away, in some areas however the report will be by post.

Phone up your surgery and make an appointment to see your GP. He will hopefully have the report and discuss your options

BOB

• Posted

Hi,

I hav a feeling this might be an error in his writing on the doctors part. Ring up and double check with receptionist and get her to check with that doctor . She'll probably get back to u.

I've had doctors screw up on my prescription from time to time.

If this was deliberate, I don't believe they have a right to change without ur knowledge.

Hope this helps

Phil

• Posted

Thank you for being responding. The pharmacist and myself both called my doctors, the pharmacist said it did didnt sound right to him at all. When I called they told me that my doctor did indeed change my prescription.
    • Posted

It's not like ur in a psychiatric ward and are catatonic. U have rights.

• Posted

That's what I thought. I'm a 28 year old woman. It's not like I'm completely crazy.

• Posted

I think u need to look into this further. I read bobs comment about under certain circumstances and sounds like they can change it .

Before u go back to ur doctor, get all the facts. I'd say internet.

• Posted

I have been taking 2mg a day as the emergency room said to do. Also, I got into my doctors office but couldn't see my doctor. The doctor I saw said to continue taking 2 a day. She said she would speak with my doctor about because it wasn't good to jump for 3 to 1. My doctor didn't listen and said to continue taking 1 a day and will not prescribe any more than that.

• Posted

Hmm, very strange (to me anyway) but yeah going to 2 would be better I would think.
  • Posted

Dear Missy, ever since the opioid epidemic, doctors and even some psychiatrists have been very nervous about prescribing any medications that fall into the higher tiers. They are spooked by overzealous law enforcement who mean well, but often have no idea what a patient needs to manage their symptoms. I have fired many psychiatrists who are more afraid of possibility drawing attention to themselves by prescribing what their patients need. Also is your psychiatrist is smart and stays current on the laws, he or she will know exactly how to figure out to give you the proper doses you need without anyone getting into trouble. It's not easy, I fired about 5 before I found one who knows what he's doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.