Can Nexium change the color of your stool?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started taking Nexium 4 days ago bc I've been having some acid reflux symptoms lately. But I noticed today my stool was a dark green color.

I did also have spinach recently but that was almost a week ago now, so it seems unlikely that it would be showing up in my stool JUST now, a whole week later. Plus I eat spinach often and never noticed it change my stool color.

I'm wondering if it's the Nexium and if anyone else has had this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Could be. For colour of stool is responsible bile..nexium just reduce acid but slows digestion. Consult with your gp asap if it's continue for 2+ days

• Posted

Maybe your stool has been green before with eating spinach and you haven’t noticed it.  Stop eating spinach for a few days to see if you notice an improvement.  If it is still green after stopping spinach, try stopping Nexium and switch to an H2 blocker to see if that makes a difference.  If neither helps, see your doctor.  I have heard of Nexium causing light coloured stools but not green.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.