Can not cope with this anxiety please help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the past year I have had really bad anxiety, it could subside for a few weeks and it comes back with a bang.

I was unaware I had anxiety until I went to my doctor in a state and he told me he thinks I had anxiety - due to my mum being diagnosed with cancer.

Recently it has been horrendous I've been to A&E, my GP and on the phone to NHS24 in the space of 3 days.

During the day I do feel a bit better but when it comes to night it is horrendous I have panic/anxiety attacks. My main symptom is leg pain, I was convinced I had a blood clot or some sort of problem with arteries etc and then I had really bad shooting pains in my chest when I was in bed.

This got me worked up and went into a panic attack. I phoned NHS24 in a state thinking I was having a heart attack and eventually I calmed down once I spoke to nurse and she explained it could be anxiety.

I am waiting to start CBT classes but I am so sick of feeling like this I just want it to stop and I can feel normal and concentrate on my young daughter and career. It's taken over everything and I would really appreciate if someone could advise on what to do when you feel an anxiety attack coming on.

I am not on any medication as I am terrified of the side affects that can happen. Especially beta blockers - as soon as I heard they slow your heartbeat that was enough for me.

I know I sound ridiculous but I have a happy good life with no worries - obviously apart from my mum who is currently undergoing treatment for her cancer.

Please help if you can with suggestions or anything.

Thanks x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda I am suffering from anxiety and panic attacks too. I am terribly sorry about your mom I I hope she gets well soon. Just remember Amanda, there are people out there that are fighting the same battles as you. Try some breathing techniques out and if you can spend some quality family time with your mother or try to get someone that you are close to just to talk about how your feeling and to get some stuff off of your chest. For anxiety the best thing that I do is distract myself, I know for a lot of people they have a hard time doing so but I completely blow off the symptoms and I just watch videos or play video games. You will be fine Amanda I promise
    • Posted

Thank you very much I really appreciate your reply, I have downloaded a few games and quizzes on my phone and also started buying books which are a great help and distraction. Thanks again take care x
  • Posted

Baby girl have your vitamin d levels checked it should be between 80 to 100 for optimal health there r soooo many symptoms from being deficient from bone and joint pain to anxiety to breathing problems fatigue brain fog to pins and needles feeling it will escalate to even death and u can have heart failure...there r over 100 million people whom r deficient and most doctors dont test as well as most hospitals dont...u have to ask for this and it will save your life...I hop this helps
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply my doctor has just arranged bloods yesterday to see if I am lacking in anything to rule out that first. Will find out in a few weeks, thanks for replying xx
  • Posted

The amount of times I was thought I was having a heart attack, I should have my own apartment at the hospital by now lol. I also panic more at night, I think because it's generally when it's quiet time, your mind wanders more, there's not as much to do.. Do not worry about side effects, I was also terrified but your doctor would not put you on anything that he sees dangerous. Do not even research meds and their side effects.. Anxious people tend to have side effects we read about, mainly all in our heads.. Ask your doctor about an anxiety med. I'm on buspar and it seems to help a bit. Very slowly. I hope your mom gets better. The fact that she's in treatment and they caught it is a great sign.. Get better soon. Maybe try some lavender, works great for helping you calm down.. Lavender scented anything near you at night will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.