Can not walk 10 feet without getting out of breath.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Synthetic 50 much for a month after my doctor had me get a blood test and he needed to raise it.I am very tired all the time.He said till he can figure the right dose that may happen.The being out of breath eases after I sit for a few minutes but very Scarry.I am 68.what kind of excersize should I do?Does this also cause weight gain?I have high blood pressure and take meds to keep it low. I

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Did the out of breath problem and tiredness only start when you began the medication?

A month is still early days in determining the right dosage, so your doc is correct on that.

low thyroid can cause weight gain, but not he meds. Regarding exercise, If it were me  I'd try swimming, or water-fitness classes for seniors.

• Posted

Thank you.It makes sense.I will be seeing my Dr. In a week so will run this by him.I feel I need to make him hear me.Twenty minutes does not seem long enough when most of its paper work.
  • Posted

Hi Patricia, when I went on levothyroxin, I couldn't get out of bed. I spent two years trying to get the dose right. I just didn't work for me. The difficult was that, yes, some of the symptoms decreased as the dosage was increased, but the side effects outweighed the benefits. It basically caused me to be sicker and it was obvious from th start, when I couldn't get out of bed, and had migraines nonstop for days. I'm kicking myself for not having stopped immediately, as I'm so much sicker now, was bedridden for months, have gained 40 pounds and am so weak, I can barely exercise.

I tell my story, because people tend to take this medication and keep waiting for it to work, while their life spirals down the drain.  If it's super bad from the start, it may indicate it isn't a good medication for you.

• Posted

That seems extremely.I do hope you feel better.I see my doc in a week and will be asking him

My friend asked me to ask him for an inhaler.Not sure if that works for this.

• Posted

Hi Patricia, glad to offer the benefit of my experience. I agree, 20 minutes isn't long enough. This so one reason struggling thyroid patients find they get better results with an endocrinologist. They deal with these issues all day and have a ton of experience so they can evaluate much easier and faster.

As for an inhaler? I say slippery slope... Have side effects from one drug, treat with another... Pretty soon you don't even know why you're taking everything.

It could be you're having an autoimmune response from the meds that's causing inflammation in the lungs. This will go away when the meds go away.

• Posted

Patricia, I really hope you get better! I was on Synthroid for a long time and felt TERRIBLE on it. I was still gaining weight and it made me even more tired by the day. It wasn't until I was put on the natural alternative, the dessicated gland tablet,  that I really started to get better. Some people do well on synthetic and some don't, find what works for you! I can't stress this enough as people have different allergies to things such as gluten, soy and dairy; it's so important to find what your body reacts negatively to! Good luck Patricia!

P.S. Did you get a blood test? 

• Posted

I get blood test every 3 months.He said are you sure you take your pills everyday?I said yes .I set my alarm so I take them at 6 am wait 2 hours like he said before I eat breakfast.I have gone on either 25 my or 50 mg switching when he tells me.Feels like a roller coaster ride.
    • Posted

I would get off synthroid as soon as possible and get on NDT. The doctor will always push the incentivized pharmaceuticals, be mindful of that; but that doesn't mean pharmaceuticals or bad, they just might not be the best option available. Synthroid has been known to give a lot of people problems.

• Posted

NDT works for some but not others. I have tried both synthroid/eltroxin and NDT and seen no difference. One thing I do know: a month is too soon to tell if the meds are working. It's a long process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.