Can Omeprazole cause vitamin deficiencies?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I have been taking Omeprazole since 28th March this year. Since taking them my recent blood test has shown that my iron levels are a bit low still, my folate levels are also below normal and my B12 is a low normal reading (the doctor wants to recheck it in November). Omeprazole has been a wonder drug for my acid reflux but I’m not sure if it is masking any other problems.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

wendy68446,

I hope you can update us on the results of your lab tests (stool,etc).  I always argued the fact about malabsorption from chronic exposure to PPIs but like your doctor, he was just did not want to address/debate it.  My blood tests always came out normal and I asked for intracellular micronutrient tests but could not get my PCP or gastro to prescribe it.  

Best of luck in your recovery

• Posted

Thank you 😊 I’m hoping I get them back by the end of this week but it could be early next week. I have to wait till November to recheck my B12 levels but until then I will continue you to take iron and folic acid tablets.

• Posted

Hi, I received the results of my stool sample for malabsorption and thankfully the results came back normal. I have been eating less high fat foods and this has reduced the pain I used to feel in my upper left abdomen. There have been days where I have had no pain at all. I still don’t know what is going on but I know I can’t eat high fat content foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.