Can Omeprazole lead to other medical issues?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have been taking Omeprazole since 28th March this year for severe acid reflux. Since I have started taking them my iron and folate levels have dropped, my doctor says my B12 is normal but only just so she wants to check my levels in November. I have only had problems with my iron levels (puberty and after giving birth) but nothing else so I was wondering if it is because of Omeprazole. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Apparently 1 in 35000 people can develop a magnesium deficiency that can lead to stroke. This happened to a friend of mine after nearly 30 years on omezoprasole. He is fine now and taking a different medication.
    • Posted

Thank you for the information, I don’t know what my magnesium levels are but I’ll mention it to my doctor when I’m next in. They probably won’t be bothered if the chance of it happening are quite low.
  • Posted

I've been on esomeprazole for 15 years plus, I am currently trying to get off them. New research coming out indicates that they are one of the worst medicines for damaging your health. Because they stop you producing stomach acid you do not digest your food properly and don't absorb essential vitamins and minerals like magnesium, potassium, calcium causing major health issues. I do honestly believe they are the cause of all my health issues at the moment

• Posted

I’m currently awaiting my stool sample results to see if I’m suffering from malabsorption issues but my doctor doesn’t think any of my problems are related to Omeprazole use.
  • Posted

If you’ve had issues with your iron levels in the past, it’s possible that Omeprazole might be contributing to this.  But it’s so hard to say.  You’ve taken it for such a short time that personally, I’d be surprised if it’s the medicine.  But some people do better on certain medications than others.  I’ve been on Omeprazole for over 10 years and my blood work always comes up good.  You might want try a different PPI other than Omeprazole to see if that makes a difference.  
    • Posted

Thank you, my iron levels fell in the past because of blood loss. I have never had problems with my folate levels before and possible B12 levels getting too low. It is so difficult to know what the best thing is to do, Omeprazole has been so good for my acid reflux problem 
  • Posted

Yes it could be and also vitamin D3 and calcium 
    • Posted

I always have to ale them to check my vitamin D 3 levels because it's a separate test , if I was you I would ask kid hi and ask for one to be done 

• Posted

I’m at a complete loss to what is going on with me, I thought the doctor would know what levels need checking. My doctor doesn’t think Omeprazole is causing any problems and the only reason I had a blood test done was because I asked if I still needed to be on iron tablets. I feel like a novice when it comes to all these tests.
    • Posted

You need to  ask they don't bother unless you ask most doctors don't realize that PPI can affect your vitamin D3 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.