can one have different symptons either than abdominal pain for diverticulitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Diagnosed with severe diverticulosis 5 years ago through virtual colonoscopy. Now having lower back pain ,rectal pressure++, nausea ,bloating and lower left abdominal tenderness. My doctor put me on antbiotics and said I had diverticulitis. Can one experience these symptons with diverticular disease.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello Eleanor,

Yes, Those are the same symptoms I experienced with my first flare up of diverticulitis last month. I too was diagnosed 5 years ago during a routine colonoscopy.

• Posted

Thank you David. The worst of these symptons is the rectal pressure However the antibiotics just seem to  add to these because it gives me diarrhea.
  • Posted

Hi Eleanor 

Sounds awful for you. Those are DD symptoms alright but also are common to IBD sufferers as I have both DD and Crohns. Over time I think we just treat the symptoms (or at least our GPs and Gastroenterologists  do) whatever the underlying cause is unless it deteriorates and surgery is needed.

Sorry don't understand the rectal pressure. Not sure what that is.

Best regards

Pete W

• Posted

Morning  Eleanor.

having my morning coffe .in bed of course, after disposing of the ""rubbish""

have to confess that I am quite psychotic if  it doesn't " leave the  .building " 

As we are both on the same level of this disease, I thought I would have words 

with you.Bloating is usually my own fault --food--- which is soon sorted with

a Mebeverine, not too often now, I know what causes it .Flour based products

The tenderness is probably caused ,by your bowel movement ,if it's not an 

easy  peasy exit you are straining and upsetting your unfriendly colon

Have you had a colonoscopy recently? I may be a good idea ,rather than your

G.P stuffing you with antibiotics, all very well, but your immune system will be

in fast decline, then your body won't be able to fight anything off.

I suppose you are stressing your skin off worrying about it, again, as you well

know, not good. If the pain isn't too strong try a Paracetamol.not so deadly

as antibiotics.H

You need to sit your G.P down and ask for another Camera job, ASAP

You need to know,

This disease is a minefield of aches and pains, I deal with each ,one at a time

,I'm the best person to do this ,as I have an ongoing reason , To stay pain free

Don't know if you use herbal remedies ,but I and quite a few of us use

a probiotic ,called Acidophilis with Pectin ,H&B sell them  .it's like your best

friend in a capsule. Two a day keeps the pain away !!!

Your diet might need a bit of attention . You can chew your favourite foods,

but you must not swallow.

• Posted

Hi, it's me again so soon. I have just read my horoscope ,thought it was very

approptiate ,it says    Watch what you eat and drink today, don't overdo it .

The man's a genius, . It's quite a good sight, his "Foresight is usually quite near

the mark on a daily basis. Yes, I know, "load of Rubbish "  But I have had to make some decisions lately, which I have been dragging my feet over, but 

the readings have given me a push and now .Iv'e sorted them ---- ALL of them.

which has in turn reduced My  stress levels

• Posted

I'm quite certain that stress plays a significant roll in this condition. The last 6 years have been tough, I've lost both parents, a brother and a sister in law from another brother. In addition to having my wife survive breast cancer 8 years ago add in alot of stress at work and poor eating habits and Walla, Diverticulosis.

Since my flare up I did need antibiotic to clear it up, I'm taking a probiotic and keeping a journal of what foods to avoid. So far so good.

• Posted

I found a site last week on the Web that gives an interesting approach from a non medical professional, Just a fellow diverticulitis member of our fraternity who says he attributes the I'll s of our condition mainly from an over production of acid which causes the deterionization of the mucusal. lining of our intestines that leads tothe problems were having.
    • Posted

Check out (Diverticulitis )Pain free foods to get a different perspective.
    • Posted

I think it's true the adage that says  "Lifes a bitch, and then you die "

Hope you are getting stressless, I think stress is a major bad guy and

is responsible for lots of illnesses The problem is, it's not a visible spot 

we can scratch,and we don't know where it is, and only people with it

can understand what it does. I hope you are taking the probiotic

every day ( 2 )  iv'e had a SHED load of stress and problems this

week, but not a peep from the colon department, so, the probiotic 

is obviously well in charge. Eaten a couple of kit Kat's along the way

I am allergic to chocolate, but the mixture of biscuit and choc is O.K

Trouble with antibiotics is ,they strip the immune system out of your

body, 

Glad you are good, hope you stay that way lol

• Posted

To be honest david, I have more or less found my foods,that are O.K

and I do keep adding  items that I was scared to death to eat before.

I still shy away from nuts .which I lurv !!!! popcorn  and sweetcorn, and

a few more wantables ,new word ,And I'm happy -ish with my grub.

• Posted

It's good to hear from fellow sufferers of this condition, that there are define try some do's and dont's. To cope with this, everyone is different and some are sensitive to certain fods that don't seem to be an issue with others, but in general it's very helpful to share what's working and try it for yourself then little by little your food library increases as do your meal options. As we get older, seems like inevetibably some health issue will arise, although this is a tough one to face for life, there are people who deal with far more difficult diseases, so it helps keep things in perspective moving forward, not back.
    • Posted

Yes david,I think you have hit all the nails on the head, regarding this disease which is left in the background ,with not a lot of interest shown

in trying to cure it. The most interest from the medics side seems to be

"Climbing " everybody's colon.just out of curiosity, and causing a lot of

patients a LOT of pain in doing so.,

Can't solve the age thing ,it's just a number, endured or ignored .I now 

have the D'D towards the bottom of my ""fright " list. same place as the wrinkles, no magic cure for those either .cool

• Posted

Thanks Jacqueline for the sage avice. Don't wish this condition on anyone but I wonder if a gastroenterologist had these symptons if they would be more receptive and helpful.

I just started doing pilates( a new exercise for me) when this flareup started I'm not sure if the abdominal stretching caused this attack..

• Posted

AAHH  david, if only, I could drown my sorrows and colon in booze,

but I can't get past the smell of the stuff ,except Bailey's .not to be drunk in pints .

Just downing my first coffee of the day, which usually sets the cleansing

department off !!!!

Can't see what the day is like ,my bedroom is ,as  the Black Hole 

of Calcutta.pretty dark. 

David, I don't recall you saying which probiotic you take I do hope 

it's Acidophilis

• Posted

Morning Eleanor

Could be the stretching and the bending (you didn't mention that )

if your colon is rigid it wont do it any good, and is giving you

a warning .

I think you are right about the patronising attitude of consultants in

particular. I have heard that they are to treat patients more humanely

I will believe that if and when it happens Digging into my vast

experience I know of only two that warrant a hug after the consultation,

and do, in fact get one.

You may have to find a more colon friendly exercises, your colon will not

give way,,EVER, so there is no pont in hurting yourself by trying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.