Can osteoporotic person exceed maximum calcium dosage of normal individualthan a normal person ? .

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 75 and I have recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis ( -4.3 T score).

I'll see my doctor shortly for the overall assessment, but I'd like to know in general ( barring any restrictions due to interaction with other medications or other physical conditions) if an osteoporotic person can go over the maximum daily dosage of 1200 mg ( including food sources and supplementation)  required for a normal person.

I'd think that perhaps  an osteoporotic person does need to take more calcium than a normal person, because he/she  needs not just to keep bone density at the normal level , but  to restore , therefore increase it .

I was also wondering what is the usual time span to see bone density increased with calcium  supplementation and.( of course) proper exercise.: months, years?

Thanks

Ittiandro

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I take the daily recommended amount of calcium and increased my vitamin D because I was low in Vitamin D. I also have osteoporosis.
  • Posted

Hi your T score is only part of your result, I would wait and ask your GP about the dosage and see if he will prescribe you adcal-3 its a combination of Vit D and Calcium, you can have either chewable ones or caplets, there is only so much your body can absorb so too much can be as bad as not enough
  • Posted

Alexandria is correct - your body can only absorb only so much calcium at a time - in fact you should not take your whole dose at one time, but 1200 should best be broken into at least two, preferably three, doses spaced several hours apart.  If you have no other meds or supplements to worry about (calcium shouldn't be taken with prednisone, nor with iron for example) then just take a dose at each meal.  You also need Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 as well as some extra magnesium.  There are other micronutrients, like boron etc, but we usually get enough through our diet.  You need the K2 and magnesium to make sure the calcium goes into your bones and is not deposited into organs or onto the walls of blood vessels where you don't want it and vitamin D can't do that.  You can get magnesium very easily by having a good soak a coule of times a week in a bath with Epsom salts, if you want to avoid another tablet!  Extra magnesium may be advised simply because the magnesium/calcium balance in the body is quite finely tuned and can go out of balance when we take extra calcium.  If your calcium supplement has included magnesium you should be fine.

• Posted

Are you taking vitamin K2? This will ensure your calcium gets onto the bones where it belongs not in your arteries. Also, your calcium can be checked in your blood tests along with vitamin D levels and other levels.

Your tscores are the same as mine so we are well into the osteoporosis range so cannot be compared to others who are borderline or even in the osteopenic range as they do not have a serious problem, 

Firstly, make sure you do not fall. Take any and all precautions to prevent this.

Next, consider your height as very small people do not start with adult bones in the same way as a tall person who has bigger bones. 

Also, keep a check on whether your bones are deteriorating so have an annual check if allowed where you are.

You can try to improve your bones by diet and exercise but more particularly make sure they do not worsen.

Others will have good ideas too but remember you are in the serious range and our circumstances are different. We must not get to the five and beyond.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.