Can PE pain come and go throughout treatment?

Posted , 2 users are following.

A month ago I had landed in the emergency room with chest pain and a heart rate of 120. 14 hours and several tests later I was diagnosed with a small PE in my left lung. The doctors put me on Xarelto treatment, and it seemed like all my symptoms were gone two weeks after. Obviously I know the clot is not gone, and it will take a while, but the last two days my heart rate has been getting high again and the chest pain is back.

Did anyone else experience their initial symptoms reccurring after a while of being completely fine?

I'm worried something may be wrong, but I don't want to go to the ER if this is normal.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If it was me and I felt the pain of similar nature and complexity I would go to ER for a check up. Better safe than sorry! Take care and let us know how you go.
    • Posted

I listened to your advice and did go to the ER today. It is so true that it is better to be safe than sorry.

They did some blood tests and an x-ray without contrast, but they didn't find anything seriously concerning.

The doctors there have told me that it could be either another clot or just the old one getting smaller and moving around, and that is what's causing the pain. I was then sent home to continue the treatment as normal, and told to come back if there are any other complications.

I hope the pain goes away soon though, as right now I'm dependent on paracetamol to get me through the day. It was honestly so scary when the symptoms came back, but I'm glad that they didn't find anything seriously wrong.

• Posted

Hi Quinn, I am still experiencing fairly severe chest pains 9 years after my clot.

Many people seem to suffer pains for various lengths of time and then return to a normal life. I can relate to what you are going through and I hope you manage a quick recovery. Regards Keith.

• Posted

9 years is a long time, I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this.

And thank you for your well wishes, Keith.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.