can perimenopause be the cause of my low mood/depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

Feel awful. Seem to have many perimenopausal symptoms and feel like I am just biding my time. Have put on loads of weight and I'm so so tired and letharigic and no motivation at all. I am 50 and I had my only child very late in life, when i was 44yrs old. he is now 6 and I'm feeling like his grandma rather than his mother. So much change has happened physically in the last year. Feel useless and hopeless.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi mrapple

I think it does cos low mood/depression but you shouldn't suffer all the time with it.  Perhaps there's an element of true depression going on.  I went through a phase a couple of years ago when I'd put on a ton of weight of feeling really old and just a has been.  It didn't help that my oldest daughter and her friends who were 18 at the time were swanning around with their perfect figures.  I joined slimming world and lost a couple of stones and felt soooo much better despite the hormones.  Maybe try and lose a bit, I know it's hard but I always find I feel better when I take control over the situationa little.  I've since put some weight bafck on and am trying once again to lose it.

• Posted

Awwww......I know how you feel. I am 45 and although still active and play sport, feel like I've aged 20 years in the past 7 months.  Maybe you could go to your doctors, if you haven't akready, just to get things checked out, like a blood test, just to make sure you aren't deficient in anything which may be causing the tiredness or exacerbating the problem x
  • Posted

I know how you feel. I am 54 and feeling low too. Sore boobs, not sleeping. Anxiety and depression. I was OK until about two weeks ago. Now feeling really down. Look after yourself you will get through this. It kind of comes and goes. Take care let me know if I can help.

I had my kids at 27 and 30 and suffered severe PD after the second one.

Take care only you can do that.😊

• Posted

Bless your heart-yes, peri can make minor issues worse.......I used to have a little bit of anxiety prior to all this and regular PMS with low mood a for few days which quickly passed after my period started. 

Now I'm 56 and coupled with low functioning thyroid.......I know what you speak of very well. I have done multiple things to help myself....but occasionally this does get a bit much. I have to remind myself that this is temporary.....not much help at the moment...but it does pass. Do see your doctor for possible solutions.....what I have learned by visiting here....what works for one, may not another. 

Hang in there, it does get easier and eases up a bit.......and I'm told, eventually evens out. Can't wait for that day as some days can be really hateful.

Sending you big hugs,

Annie Xxxx

• Posted

Hi,

I sort of swing between wishing I'd had my son when I was much younger, or a bit older, so he was still a bit more dependant. I had him at 35 and he is 18 next month.  Up until quite recently we used to like the same TV programmes, he loved alot of the music I was into - from the 70's 80's and 90's, and probably still does, and we could have a good laugh together.  In the last few months since this peri/menopause really set in, I feel as if we may be from other planets. I dont know how to communicate with him anymore. Can on earth can a lad of his age have the slightest idea or interest in what a 53 year old pre/menopausal woman who more often than not, just wants some peae and quiet - feels like!!!

My sister is 55 and her son is 13, and I think she actually still feels younger than I do!

• Posted

I'm sorry you are feeling so awful. Depression can take a toll on a person. Have you ever thought about being on an antidepressant maybe that will help you feel better 

Hang in there and just pray to God you will get through this

• Posted

Hello There

Feel for you completely. 

I have a 6yr old grandson who spends lots of time with us every week.  Thankfully I'm not his main carer, as I feel fit for nothing (at 54!). 

I would say you probably do have Peri symptoms but, because you have the very important role of being a mum to a very young child, I'd get myself to the GP pronto to see if they could suggest something to help me out of this rut.

Be prepared to hear the mantra 'Lose weight' - Oh, it only it was that bloody easy!  I agree with 'louise1974' below who mentioned Slimming World.  Great, Great Club, Diets and a right good laugh to be had!  Like Louise, I too had lost weight with them and since put a bit back on. 

When I move home later this year, I'll seek them out again I think as I hate to say it, I felt less lethargic when there was a bit less of me, and now the (UK) summer's on its way, maybe it'd be good for you to feel a bit lighter in your mood too.

Always remember though: you're someone's mum, so you are definitnely not uselesswink!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.