Can perimenopause cause increased anxiety and depression?

Posted , 53 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm 48 and have always been a 'bit of a 'worrier' since childhood and have suffered from bouts of moderate depression since my early thirties, however, back then it seemed reasonably manageable...however, KABOOM! I hit the grand old age of 47 and I felt like something had turned up the amplification knob!. I started having bouts of intense anxiety resulting in insomnia (in particular early waking) which then manifested into depression, the most awful feelings of doom, gloom and helplessness, intense fear, shame, guilt etc. My periods were becoming lighter and later and blood tests confirmed my hormones were fluctuating, I was put on anti-depressants which I'm still on but they don't seem to help with what seems to be the most crippling PMT which I have at the moment. Only a couple of days ago I just crumpled into a heap on my bedroom floor and cried, no I 'wailed' like a banshee!.....I feel like I'm losing my mind and am feeling very scared at the moment as I can't see any end to it and feel very alone...is this normal? has anybody else felt this way? and what helps you cope?

9 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Anjipanji

Mine is similar story to yours. I'm 44, 3 years roughly of perimenopause (mostly manageable fluctuating cycle lengths, odd nights of early waking and night sweats, generally hotter during the day and more seating down the back (not actual hot flushes).

Like you I have always been a worrier and since my last child was born nearly 15 years ago, I had moderate anxiety (health fears). The last two months I have had really bad anxiety and panic attacks with dizziness which last almost a week after my period has come.

I am also on low dose ad.

I saw the doctor last week for the increased anxiety and panic, thinking that my ad was no longer working, but she says the anxiety and panic is hormone related and classic perimenopause symptom with erratic oestrogen decline (I think that's what she said) and she said bumping up or switching ad will do nothing as the anxiety/panic is not related to serotonin levels, but erratic oestrogen. I am having blood tests in 2 weeks on my first day of cycle to check hormones.

She said depending on results we can talk about medication to help (what medication I don't know).

I can recommend my ad...Effexor xr (at low dose)which has been fantastic for anxiety (up till hormone anxiety kicked in) and far better than my previous ad (zoloft).

Happy to chat anytime! Follow up in 2 weeks or so after my blood tests and chat with dr.

loads of hugs,

Sydneymum

• Posted

Hi Sydneymum

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently on a low dose antidepressant to help with my sleep and anxiety, but this past week I've had really bad PMT and felt that it hasn't been working which is just another anxiety on top of everything else! It's interesting that your Dr said that increasing the dosage was not the solution and that it was erratic oestrogen causing the anxiety. I'm due to see my GP tomorrow and am going to try and get a referral to a gyno clinic for a more thorough assessment. I was put on HRT for several months then another GP took me off it it's so confusing and frustrating!. 

I hope you get your medication sorted...sounds like your on the right track though.

Hugs xx

• Posted

Hi Anjipanji

Last year I did not know I was going into menopause I found out this year and it was rough on me I had severe panic attacks even at work sometimes it got to the point where I had to go home because I was feeling paniky and sick 

This year it is some what undercontrol but I am on a low dose of zoloft ativan two twice a day and a half with my trazodone at bedtime. Yes I have had times where I lock myself in the bathroom and just cry and cry or I just stay in bed away from everyone until I feel better. 

Things will get better just hang in there and pray meditate and take time for yourself biggrinsmile the world is not coming to an end its just your hormones are up and down 

• Posted

Hi Susan

Thanks for your reply, I can relate to the panic attacks, the slightest little thing can set me off. I too have times where I don't want to see anybody or talk to anybody, I just want to stay under my duvet and shut the world out and cry...and then I start to feel guilty and ashamed which just makes me feel even worse. A good cry does help though and I have supportive family and a close friend who keep an eye on me

I do hope things start to get better x

• Posted

hi anjiipanji66 you on definitely on the right site.  im only three months into this and these wonderful women have helped me loads with support and advice..i was introduced to menopause by being rushed to hospital thinking i was having a heart attack then came the panic attacks anxiiety depression crying as well as physical symptoms.  i was on propranalol for panic attacks but been off them for several weeks now i was offered antidepressants but decided to try natural remendies and followed recommendations from the ladies on here.  i take b6 and b12 along with cod liver and fish oil tables milk thistle and calcium and things seem to have calmed down still get anxiety particularly when at work but nothing to what it was . this site is wonderful and you will benefit greatly from the advice of this remarkable women i know i did. hope it helps x
    • Posted

I went to the hospital thinking that i was having a heart attack, they did every test and nothing...sent me home saying "might have been a panic attack" . I remembered how i felt when i started feeling creepy, so i tried to be very aware and work on relaxing myself and doing deep breathing. That was 4 1/2 years ago now i'm fine. My symptoms now have to do with alot of very stiff joints, it seems like every hurdle i get over there is more i have to learn. I found this site 3 days ago and have learned alot. Have new ideas to try ready and willing :-)
    • Posted

Hi lol64

Thanks for your reply, sounds like you've been through rough time. I was off work for a while last year with anxiety and depression, the worst time of my life, I thought I was going crazy! I'm not so bad now but I still have the odd ;blips' where I just feel I'm losing control and start to get scared and anxious again. This site is really helpful especially knowing I'm not on my own and what I'm going through, awful that it is, is perfectly normal x

• Posted

Goodness Anjipanji!

Must be something in the air! I could have wrote your post myself. Yes, for me it was like a light switch being flipped on, that's how fast things really went haywire with me.

It's pretty much how the last year or so has been on and off like this. I call it PMS on steroids actually. Got so bad, I started charting it out as I felt like I was losing my mind. My husband was the one who noticed the pattern.  I couldn't believe PMS could get any worse but oh this hormonal stuff can take it to depths like no other. And the silly thing is, when I'm even keel, I think about the same topics, yet in a rational manner. I understand you feeling scared as it is scary to think a shift in hormones can alter our thinking patterns. 

I read where this is on par for people that had pms in the past, yet on here, I've read where a few (not many) women who had no issues with pms in the past and exercised and what not, still manage to come up feeling like us. 

Thank God this is temporary, although for me it seems like an eternity and wonder when it will be that I gain control of this nonsense and be my old self again. Hateful time it is.

I've tried different supplements, Gentle yoga, relaxation tapes, brisk walking and even went to see a therapist. One doctor prescribed the Combipatch (after I went to see him and could do nothing but hand him a list of my woes and weep uncontrollaby for 1/2 hour) which lasted 8 days before I realised HRT wasn't going to work well for me. Tried Sertaline for hot flash and found it actually did level me out a bit, but at the same time my weight started increasing (not as much as now without it) so that made me even more sad so I stopped it. 

For whatever reason, this weekend has been some sort of blip, as a few others have reported. Not sure why I've been such a weepy basket case but hey, it's not all the time and seems to becoming less frequent. Yet when the moments occur, I'm insane.............hate this out of control feeling.

I'm sure by now you have seen by the many responses, you are not alone. This part of helping to alleviate the pain is all trial and error. We are all different and what may work for one may not for you. Just know that this too shall pass.

Sending you hugs to help you feel better.

Annie xxxx

• Posted

Hi Annie,

Thanks for your reply. The PMS for me is far worse than in the past and it seems to last longer followed by a light, late or no period at all! It feels like I've been possessed, but when it's passed, like yourself, I feel a bit more rational, I bit like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde! I had a bad weekend as well, more so than normal and just wanted to cry all the while.

I like the idea of taking a list to the Dr, I'm due to see mine tommorrow so I'm going to do the same in case I have the uncontrollable weepies again. He's a very good GP so I'm hopeful.

It's a comfort to know I'm not alone, this site is so helpful, and, as your rightly say, it's getting the right solution that works for me.

Hugs xx

• Posted

Hi dear. You have a ton of replies so what's one more eh? haha  I am 48 and take B75 Complex which has really calmed down my system.  Also there is an all natural remedy just for perimenopause symptoms called Menopace which really sounded interesting.  Have a Google.  This will be over soon!  Take Care xxoo
    • Posted

Hi

I've think I've of heard of Menopace, I'll certainly Google it to find out more x

• Posted

Anjipanji sounds like you are describing me!!

Like you I have always been worrier,but its

more than just worry now. I'm 47 I have bad

anxiety, doom and gloom, dread,and just

feeling something bad is gonna happen any

minute. I take prazac for the depression but

it doesn't help much. I don't have any good

answer for you I'm sorry. I talk myself outta

mine doesn't always help. sad

• Posted

Hi Donna,

Yes, often get the doom and gloom feelings, they're crippling. I also feel a lot of shame and guilt simply by feeling this way. The rational part of me does try and make sense of these feelings which are often unfounded and inaccurate but it's very difficult believing it at times when I'm feeling low!....I try and keep myself occupied whether its knitting, watching a film or reading and when I'm feeing really low talk to family or friends who can help in putting things into perspective. xx

• Posted

Hi there I haven't read all the posts here but I wanted to mention B75 Complex Vitamins which have really calmed down my system.  Good for 

PMS moods too they say so must do some good cause I feel more relaxed and haven't punched anyone lately. hehe  There is also Menopace vitamins created for menopausal women.  Give it a Google, it seems interesting and a lot of ladies on here are on it.  Take Care xo

• Posted

Exactly like me! The week before I turned 46 last year. The feeling of anxiety hit me like a truck. I had never felt like that before. I was diagnosed with at 29 with Lupus causing depression and lots of other symptoms. Being in Perimenopause seems worse then Lupus. I feel like I've lost control of my mind and body. Why don't women talk more about this. We are taught about menstruation and having babies. No one talks about menopause!! Thought I was going crazy. The anxiety is horrendous and night sweats every hour. I feel like I'm going to spontaneousl combust. It's such a lonely stage of womanhood. I had only just stopped taking my antidepressants before this because I had realised they had made me fat. Now the Dr is telling me to go back on them and Gabapentin for night sweats. I have also lost all confidence in myself. How are we suppose to carry on living a normal life? Really hope you start feeling better soon? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.