Can piles cause anemia?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been struggling with fatigue, body aches, breathlessness, legs and arms tingling, brain fog and lack of concentration for some time now and it seems to be getting worse. Waiting for some blood work to come back to find out if I'm anemic. Been trying to figure out why I feel this way and come across blood loss could be why. I have a pile on my backside and have had it for 4/5 years. Does not cause me pain but does bleed a little when I go to the toilet, which is normally 2/3 times a day. Could this cause aneima? It only bleeds a little but could it over time have caused me to feel this way? I did not tell my doctor as I did not think of anything of it but the more I search the web the more I see slow blood loss as a possible cause for how I feel. Any one been through this or think it could cause it? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Yes! Tell your doctor! My anemia was not caused by that, but u know a woman who became severely anemic for this reason (she was hospitalized for several days and needed a blood transfusion). If this cause isn't addressed, your anemia will likely not go away. Good luck with your treatment!

• Posted

Oops--"but I know a woman..." (Wish I could edit my reply!)

• Posted

Thank you for your comment. It's been their a long time and blood loss over time could cause nutrients to be lost I presume. Phoning the doctors on Monday to get my results, I'm hoping it comes out with something wrong.

• Posted

Hi.  I know how you feel.  I had Severe Anemia almost one year ago with most of those symptoms you listed.  Yes, do tell your doctor about your slow bleed.  After many tests it was found I had a slow bleed from some abnormal blood vessels in my small intestines.  The slow bleed caused my Hemoglobin and Hematocrit levels to drop real low and my iron to go low. I had to get a blood transfusion.  Good to hear you already got blood work.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Once you were treated did everything go back to normal for you? I'm hoping I will get answers from my test results. I'm just worried that they will come back all clear, I'm so positive that it's aneima that is causing my issues.

• Posted

At first I was treated with a blood transfusion of four units during my four day hospital stay.  After leaving hospital I was put on iron pills three times a day.  Each time I took the Iron I had to drink orange juice to absorb the iron.  My doctor also had me take a stool softener twice a day to prevent constipation from the Iron.  I was taking Iron three times a day for three months.  It also took three months for the Anemia to finally go away.  I did feel more normal again after the three months.  I still have to take one Iron pill every day at breakfast with orange juice.  Because my levels did go back up and have stayed normal (thank goodness) so far I have not had any surgery on the malformed vessels but if my levels start dropping again I may have to go through surgery.  I still get Complete Blood Count blood tests every two months to check per doctors recommendations.
  • Posted

Exactly the same symptoms and piles that bleed a tiny amount.

just had results of bloods and iron v. Low.8.3, Ferritin 1.9, folic acid v.low.

Been put on high dose of ferrous surface, and folic acid for at least three months and referred to gastroenterologist for colonoscopy.

This crept up on me over a year, so slowly, that by the time I did something about it, I felt so ill and exhausted.

So now to try and establish that the cause is piles and what to do about it.

I've had them for years.

• Posted

Ferrous sulfate*

I Swear this site changes my spelling!

• Posted

How do you feel now after the 3 months? Has being on the the supplements helped you? Have you got rid of most of your symptoms? I'm crossing my fingers for answers today.

• Posted

I only got the results back and had the iron plus folic acid prescribed last week, so will have to see.

I just got an appointment to see someone regarding colonoscopy on the 5th. I've been fast tracked through.

• Posted

At least your on the right track now, it's good they are fast tracking you. Hopefully with time you will see improvements. Apparently in can take some time for things to return back to normal. Have you had any side effects from taking the iron? Constipation, stomach ache, etc.

• Posted

Yes the iron has made me feel a bit queasy, hopefully I can tolerate them.

but doesn't solve the problem of continuing to lose blood, need to somehow get that sorted.

I was very anaemia when younger, due to heavy periods, and can remember feeling like this, I really should have picked up on it sooner, I am so breathless and tired now, it will take a while, my leaves are so low.

• Posted

Give it time they will find what is causing the bleeding. You've got this far. Fatigue is the one that gets me the most, I can be fine and then one minute later bang I'm so tired!! Been happening for years but never thought anything of it as it wasn't that bad but now it's everyday, some are better than others. Hopefully tests today confirm what it is. I literally have everything crossed.

• Posted

Hope so, at least they can then start to treat you.

good luck, let us know how it goes.

• Posted

Hi!  I have been taking Iron because I had Severe Anemia last spring.  It took three months to go away.  I found that taking Iron pills with orange juice helped my stomach with the Iron.  My doctor also recommended a stool softener when I had to take iron three times a day.  I took the stool softener twice a day.  Today I still have to take one Iron with orange juice at breakfast.  I hope you get to feeling better soon but it does take some time!
    • Posted

Thankyou.

I've been taking lactulose for some time now, don't know if it's the piles or I have a fissure. So painful, the thought of a colonoscopy isn't good.

I'm drinking fresh orange juice, half a pint a day, hope that helps.

I think I'll get used to the queasy stomach. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.