Can pityriasis roses rash heal within 2 weeks?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, 10 days ago I noticed a reddish papular rash all over my buttocks and part of my lower back that was mildly itchy along with a pink ovoid patch ~4cm on my neck. These could have been appearing for days and I wouldn't have known as I don't examine my backside in that much detail, I just noticed the skin felt really bumpy and got the mirror out. No fever, no other obvious symptoms except a slight sore throat.

I went to the Dr 5 days ago because although the papules were fading by using just sudocrem and wearing loose cotton clothing, there was the addition of a new pink macular rash appearing on one erm butt cheek. Naturally this was a delightful gp visit! I was told that the ovoid mark on my neck was too pale for fungus and was likely a herald patch and the other rashes were the start of pityriasis rosea. (differential diagnosis would be sweat rash on buttocks from recent overuse of heatpads and synthetic clothing (yes, I know, that was silly) and in my opinion potentially a tinea versicolor rash on neck.

I've been using a tea tree oil based natural body wash all over and calamine lotion on my buttocks and canasten cream on the neck patch (just in case). Buttocks have cleared up a lot now but I'm left wondering if:

1)I'm lucky and it cleared up fast

2)it wasn't PR

3)I'm still waiting for the full body rash experience

I hope it's 1 or 2 but are there any signs that the breakouts have stopped or can there be a lull before another wave?

According to the literature the rash clears within 2-18 weeks depending on which reviews you look at.

I have to say regardless of the cause of MY rash, it feels very unsatisfactory to visit a medic and hear that ultimately you'll probably have it for weeks and there's nothing you can do about it! How frustrating for everyone!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.