Can prednisone make you short of breath

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm tapering off at 10mg pred for PMR and having shortness of breath. I'm 68 good cardio shape, and felt like I ran a 10K every time I went up the stairs. Rheum told me to go to ER and get checked out cause he was surprised by this side effect. Blood work, Chest X-ray, Cardiogram showed all normal, so YES for sure Shortness of Breath is a side effect.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I wonder if prednisone is the reason or if it could be due to anemia of autoimmune disease. I have had most of the tests you mentioned but not the ecocardiogram yet. Along with shortness of breath I also experience weakness, fatigue and pins and needles in my feet. It is puzzling. After 2 years of pmr I am on 5 mg of prednisone. Thanks for your input and good luck in your journey.

• Posted

But you would have expected that it would have been worse at higher doses wouldn't you?

• Posted

i am short of breath every time I taper. It will last 2-3 fays and get better as I adjust to the new dose. It is scary to struggle to get enough air.

• Posted

If you want to blame anything it would not be pred, it would be PMR. You have lost fitness and PMR is restricting blood flow to your muscles. With ANY effort, you need oxygen for your muscles and they are not getting enough, which creates a condition of shortness of breath.

One needs to slowly condition themselves to be increase cardio shape. It is a classic anaerobic effect.

• Posted

I also have experienced shortness of breath. While hiking uphill, I seem to be behind everyone. Also have experienced it going up stairs. I've passed a stress test and a pulmonary function test. My cardiologist said the pred could have been the culprit. BTW - my last dose of pred was April 1, 2018.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.