Can prolapse bladder surgery be done through the vagina so cutting is not necessary?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have heard about a gynaecologist in the Plymouth area who did prolapse operations via the vagina so cutting was not nessary.  However apparently this was a few a years ago.  Is this method done by other UK specialsts?  Also for those who have had the surgery did they have the full anaestetic or an epidural?  Thank you.  

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's normally performed vaginally tricia and any good urogynaecologist would do it that way however some of the "old school" gynaecologists may not. 

• Posted

I have got a rectoncele has anyone else had this think its a kind of prolapse in the bowel area
    • Posted

A rectocele is the bowel protruding into the vagina and is very common christine 
    • Posted

Does anyone know how they fix a rectoncele ? i have been told i have one and worried about it i have chronic constipation as well for months now no one has been in touch with what to do and the clinic says the next appointment is March 2017 if i will still be alive then not sure
    • Posted

The surgeon makes a cut in the vaginal wall to the perineum (the bit between the vagina and the anus) and the prolapse is pulled back into place with sutures. More sutures are used to close the incision. The operation takes around 45 minutes but you are away from the ward for longer because you stay in the recovery room until you are awake. There are videos online but remember different consultants have their own way of doing things.
    • Posted

Typical symptoms Christine. I'm sure you will still be alive and kicking by March! I've had to wait for similar op for several months, I had a cystocele, double salpingo oophrectomy in April so wasn't feeling up to a rectocele repair just yet. I go in Feb 17. You can find more info if you look at the top of this page, Genito Urinary Prolapse. You might like to try stool softeners or lactulose for constipation as this can cause pain in my case! It's important to keep things 'moving'! rolleyes

• Posted

Hi!     I had the full works done....and hysterectomy.   I am now almost 13 weeks.      I opted for a spinal and it was excellent!   I slept through most of the op as they do give you a sedative of which you can choose which strength you wish to have even during the op itself.    The spinal is far better than a general anesthetic I feel.    Ive never once felt tired during this 13 weeks, and I can only put it down to not having the GA.      I had my op done at Northampton hospital.  
    • Posted

Hi carole you're absolutely right about the benefits of a spinal surgery in relation to tiredness. There's still a lot of surgery not performed under a spinal and it's not because the urogynaecologists don't opt for it but it's all down to the anaesthetist and the patient of course. In my health trust it's being offered but ladies are still opting for a GA. The other cause of tiredness though is the pain relief we are prescribed because that can have the same effect. It's good to read your recovery was a good one though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.