Can quitting Prozac cause IBS?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone know if it's possible and if true what should be done to eliminate it?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

When I went thru Prozac withdrawal, I had all sorts of GI problems.....mostly Diarrhea. And bad.   One of the NP's that I was seeing at the time told me to go to Urgent Care to be tested for C-Diff or Giardia. She was sure that I had IBS.  She wanted me to stick to a very bland diet.   Both tests came back negative.   It went away eventually once I was thru the withdrawal faze.

• Posted

Barbara, my psych dr told me that Prozac was the one ad that you didn’t have to taper off as it had such a long half life. Did you find that to be true?
    • Posted

It was almost a month long.  It was awful & my anxiety was thru the roof!  BUT I was on 20 mg.'s for about 15 years & weaned myself off over about a months time.  I was later told by a Dr that it I was suppose to wean wayyyyyy slower than that-over the course of several months.

• Posted

I heard just the opposite BUT it is true that Prozac/Fluoxetine has a long half-life which means it stays in your system longer & is suppose to be one of the easier AD to withdraw from.  It depends on how long you were on it & at what dosage.   I was on a low dose (20 mgs) but for many years-15 or so.  Now I am on Effexor.   Just started a little over 2 weeks ago & then I read all the horror stories of trying to withdraw from this drug.  Just asked my psych Dr & she said yes-Effexor is one of the hardest to withdraw from.   Great.  Wish I had stayed on Prozac.  It treated me well & I just thought I didn't need it anymore & listened to others who are against all AD's.   STUPID me.

• Posted

Okay one more question, does quitting prozac cause any permanent GI problem/disorder or is it all temporary ?
    • Posted

I don't believe so.   I highly doubt it but I'm not a medical professionalcry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.