Can reflux be all in my head?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with acid reflux, been on lansoprazole now for a week and symptoms are about 80% better. The thing is, Inread that some of you here are woken at night with acid, or get it lying down, or when you eat. My acid reflux is better when I sleep. I wake up and my stomach is okay for about 30 seconds after waking, then I think about it and the discomfort starts. Also is it improved by drinking alcohol (wine). How can that be? Is it all in my head and related to stress? I have been extremely stressed this e last three months after being bereaved (my mum died and my dads dementia deteriorated at the same time). It's stressful dealing with care agencies. If it is in my head, why can't I decide to stop it? 

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jayney,

I think you may have hit this nail on its head.  Like you, I found this particular aspect of this site because I was feeling unwell.  I had many - I'm sure well intentioned - people telling me what I should do and what I should take.  I actually followed their advice.  One woman was adament that I follow this and that regime - which I did - and then she cut off contact with me and all others.  I pray she is well. 

The shock of all this advice actually - in the end - made me abandon it.  It was the best thing I ever did I now know.  Oh, I DID have the medical tests (bless the NHS) - an endoscopy, ultrasound, colonoscopy, multiple blood tests, mri, etc. - and ALL was - and remains - normal.  Indeed, I was fine.  I AM fine.  It was I believe stress related as you suggested.  I do think in large measure I brought it on myself and this site only enhanced that self-concern.  I would suggest that you might experiment just cutting contact for a bit with these links ... and advising yourself you'll be fine.  See how that works.  It worked for me.  You may well be surprised for your good self. 

• Posted

Thank you for your wise advice, Meunier. I think I dwell on the symptoms a lot and to be honest, with the exception of the last bout of chest and back pain (which drove me to the GP for PPI) they have been mild compared to the pain some of the users of this site are suffering. 

Perhaps preoccupation with symptoms is causing extra stress....yes, I have had a physical examination and blood tests, all normal and I don't have 'red flag' symptoms, so perhaps its time for another approach. Thank you for the fresh perspective! 

• Posted

Sorry for your loss, and stress can add to your symptoms and upset your body.

Not easy being a carer, it takes it toll on you.

Not everyone will experience the same symptoms, you may only relate to one or two of them, it's not a text book case . If you can try find time torelax for a time each day this can help with your stress levels. And no not in your head.

• Posted

I haven't been diagnosed with acid reflux, but I can address the stress of caring for a parent with dementia. I took care of my mother for the last two years of her life with dementia. It was very difficult but I'm very thankful now that I had the time and circumstances to do it for her. She had a wonderful doctor who came to her home to see her and basically the doctor dealt with all the agencies for me. I'm not familiar with the medical system in the UK, I understand it's very different. My best advice is to do what you can for your dad and do what you must to take care of you. 
  • Posted

interesting post. Unlik you i have been diagnosed as having excessive stomach acid but prior to that my doctor prescribed me some " happy pills " which contrary to what my wife and advised i really did not want to take them, So I took them for several days and the returned to the doctor to tell him that I did not wish to take them.It was only then he suggested that i could have acid reflux.So given that my advise to you is to stop taking the medicine and see how you get on.After all if you do start to get excessive pain you can start taking the drugs again.

Its interesting also that given the stress that you have been under, and i am sorry to read about it but you should also take some pride from knowing that you did the best that you could for your parents,that your doctor did not take you down the happy pill route before diagnosing that you had AR and that tells me that you were obviously showing signs of having it.

My own experience is since i have been on a daily dose of Lanso... i am definitely getting less stomach pain which makes me wonder whether i too should stop taking it but i would rather not risk it.

So finally go with how your feeling and see what happens.

• Posted

Hi Ted, I think the GP is going to advise happy pills when I see him on Tuesday, He did mention antidepressants for anxiety when I saw him last about the AR. I know a GP's prime directive is to alleviate suffering but it's quite normal to feel down when you are grieving, isn't it? I will have to think about taking both the manso and any antidepressant he recommends. I just want to feel well but I don't want to be stuffed full of pills to do it. Bu on the other hand if it gives relief, why not? Mmmm.....dilemma
    • Posted

JH yes of cause its normal to feel down during the process of grieving so don't punish yourself for feeling like you do.You have been through a bad patch but it will gradually get better believe me.My mum and dad are long gone now but not as long as my sister who died in a car crash this Wednesday 41 years ago and I still get a bit low on her dying so young but my point is that yes you never really stop grieving but the pain gets easier and always remember that those you lose in your life would never want you to spend the rest of your life feeling miserable.

With regard to the pills try and determine in your own mind whether its amxiety that is causing your problem or it is something physical.If you feel it is physical rather than mental then tell your doctor you really would rather not take them.It may not suit you but during my times of lost I find walking or cycling or running helps me to cope.Don't also be afraid to confide in your friends and loved ones how you are feeling also.They really will want to help you I am sure.Take my word that given time your pain really will decrease. Best wishes Ted

• Posted

Thanks for the advice everyone, I feel more positive about things now. Will try out the ideas that oyu have suggested.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.