Can scar tissue mimic a hernia recurrence?

Posted , 1 user is following.

About six months ago I got a surgery to fix a small umbilical hernia. For about half that time, I've felt like the hernia symptoms have returned: there's lots of discomfort and 'itchiness' at the site, especially when laying on my back or swimming, which is how I discovered the hernia in the first place. The only difference is that before my surgery I had a visible bulge that I could see and push in, while now I no longer have any bulges, though I do have some toughness that my doctor identified as scar tissue.

My question is: can scar tissue mimic the sensations of a hernia? The fact that the hernia site feels so much like it did before my surgery concerns me. However since I have scar tissue in the same area, and don't notice any bulges this time, I'm hoping it's something else.

Thanks for any help!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.