Can see a visible heartbeat? Has anyone ever heard of this being a symptom?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I can a heartbeat in the left side of my chest and my stomach. I have heard of this being a symptom in some graves patients but was curious to see if anyone has experienced it?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I had this, particularly after exertion.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. Was this purely due to graves and hyperthyroidism? Cause I've seen some scary stuff like heart disease and failure and stuff like that. I'm only 18 and don't want to be really scared about my blood tests?
  • Posted

My husband with Heart Failure had a visible pulse in his neck on the right side which was significant as far as the cardiologist was concerned.  Heart Failure may result from either too high or too low thyroid or from a list of other things.

Contact your doctor if your blood pressure is higher than 120/80 or your resting heart rate is greater than 80 beats per minute.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. That's kinda freaked me out though cause I'm only 18 and I'm gonna have thyroid blood tests soon, but heart failure? Could it cause something that serious - I'm a bit scared about it now... all my symptoms just seem to point to graves though..
    • Posted

Yes, you are so young, and if you don't have heart failure run in your family it probably isn't the cause of your symptoms.  Still, you should bring it up with your doctor.

I am 66 and my husband is 57.  Heart failure seems to run in his family, but even that has been helped so much with medications that he is back to his normal self, now.  

I took medications for the GD for a few years, but am in remission now.

Take this step by step and see how you feel. 

Did you lose a lot of weight before learning about the Graves' Disease?  If you are very thin you might see the heart beats.  

Good luck on your tests.  There is nothing to be particularly afraid of.  Even if the doctor tries to scare you about the GD, just take it as calmly as possible.  Remember that you are alive and can survive this.  

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

It is quite scary but it's almost certainly linked to thyroid. I'm a lot older than you and wondered about heart disease but I'm sure it's nit in your case. Have your tests, take your meds and you will be fine very quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.